Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Oct, 2022
2022-10-24 6:10:08 PM UTC
Well, definitely one of a kind--congrats!

I've never even heard about this proof before.
24 Oct, 2022
2022-10-24 6:23:13 PM UTC
Fantastic find
24 Oct, 2022
2022-10-24 8:44:41 PM UTC
Someone thought "Ronald" would be a good idea on this book, which I find fascinating. Did Tolkien hear of it and veto it? Was it a letter to Stanley Unwin that they took this from? So many questions (not about the proof copy itself, but about the thought process behind this decision).

Loving it!
24 Oct, 2022
2022-10-24 8:46:48 PM UTC
Signed with a curséd ballpoint pen, to boot.
24 Oct, 2022
2022-10-24 10:35:42 PM UTC
congratulations and deep envy Remy. That is a smashing find!
25 Oct, 2022
2022-10-25 6:54:28 AM UTC
Congratulations on this fantastic find! And thanks for sharing some photos with all of us, it's a pleasure to see such gems
25 Oct, 2022
2022-10-25 6:57:06 AM UTC
That's indeed an amazing find! Congrats!
25 Oct, 2022 (edited)
2022-10-25 9:20:19 AM UTC

Emilien wrote:

I can imagine your suprise and joy when you removed the dust-jacket
Congratulations !!

You said it. At first it was just such a relief that it actually was a proof and I had not acquired some worthless book. Additionally, my wife was beside me when I was opening the package (and I had explained to her the story of the photo and the bidding – not that she is really interested) so I had opened myself up to complete humiliation if it did not turn out to be a proof. So, relief on two fronts when I opened the package.

I was so relieved and overjoyed at first that my mind did not even process the “Ronald Tolkien” facsimile. It was not until about five minutes later that I realised it was not the usual facsimile signature. That just added another level of excitement.

In many ways, I find the use of the facsimile signature more interesting than the proof itself. As far as I know Tolkien only used that signature with family and close friends. So how it ended up being used is quite a mystery.
25 Oct, 2022
2022-10-25 10:18:08 AM UTC

remy wrote:

In many ways, I find the facsimile signature more interesting than the proof itself. As far as I know Tolkien only used that signature with family and close friends. So how it ended up being used is quite a mystery.

I really enjoy reading these stories. The sig is a rather wonderful thing. It has been noted by W&C in Chronology 3 February 1964 "Tolkien writes to Ronald Eames, enclosing the proofs of Tree and Leaf. He has made no alterations. He queries the cover/title-page which does not include his tree design. In regard to the facsimile of his signature on the title-page: ‘I do not and never have used the signature “Ronald Tolkien” as a “public” or auctorial signature, and I do not think it suitable for this purpose'"

And Eames replies: 5 February 1964 "Ronald Eames writes to Tolkien. The tree design is intended for the cover of the paperback edition, not the title-page. He hopes to send a proof of the cover soon. He asks Tolkien to supply a more suitable version of his signature for the titlepage."

The above quotes are taken from Christina Scull & Wayne G. Hammond's The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide: Chronology.

So the sig is really a treasure and never intended by Tolkien for use here. You have a rare treasure remy.

Findegil, I hope the above quotes are acceptable and not too over the line of fair use. Please tell me off if not and I will remove them.
25 Oct, 2022
2022-10-25 10:26:18 AM UTC
I wonder where GA&U obtained the Ronald Tolkien signature, can't see him using that in writing to them.

Did they ask him to supply it for the book, and then he was surprised when it was used in the book?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us