Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Brodart Protectors - Question on a Size & Finish

8 Nov, 2022
2022-11-8 4:18:19 PM UTC

I'm finally getting around to order some Broadart Dust Jacket protectors but I was unsure on a few options and was hoping to get some feedback/suggestions from the members here on their preferences.

The vast majority of books I'll be doing are standard HarperCollins so I was debating between 10" and 12" Just-A-Fold II for ease of use.
• From previous threads seems like most prefer to go 12" as it gives them more flexibility in the books covered, however since the majority of my books are all the same height it seems like the 10" would be fine.
• For those who prefer the 10", how much overlap do you typically end up with?

The bigger question, and one I'm hoping a member or two could provide examples to compare against is Super Clear vs Lo-Luster.
• How much glare does the glossy typically produce (say in comparison to non-covered glossy HC Dust-Jacket)?
• Just how hazy are the lo-luster, how much detail is lost?
8 Nov, 2022
2022-11-8 10:27:07 PM UTC
I use the Brodart ready made pockets all the time. I mainly buy the 10” for most books. There is overlap on the standard size but I don’t find it a problem. The other two size I’ve bought but not much are the 12” and the 8”. The pictures below will hopefully show you what you need to know. The LotR is the 10”, the other two you can work out I’m sure.
As regard glare, I didn’t know there were different types of cover like that. Sure, depending on angle and light you’d get shine but I guess it would depend on how you place the books on the shelf.

4965_636ad749d9164.jpeg 1828X953 px

4965_636ad749d96b2.jpeg 2041X1232 px

4965_636ad749d9c22.jpeg 1974X1362 px

4965_636ad749d9fb9.jpeg 1775X1042 px
9 Nov, 2022
2022-11-9 12:14:22 AM UTC
I've been buying the "just a fold" version, which has the bottom edge pre-folded and with paper backing, but the top edge is just clear unfolded plastic. I last got the 12". I can fold the top edge down to perfectly fit any jacket that is about 6" tall to 11.5" tall and it works really well without needing to have lots of sizes around. The pre-folded ones always seem to have just a millimeter (or more!) of height difference - no "8 inch tall jacket" is exactly 8 inches tall, I've found.

My current ones are "super clear". They are hard to photograph without flash reflection (or ambient light fixture reflection) so I remove them if I am trying to take pictures, but otherwise I really like them. I don't think I have tried the matte/lo-luster finish, sorry!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us