Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

small site styling changes

26 Jan, 2023
2023-1-26 10:59:00 PM UTC

Bear with me, I just finished unifying the mobile/desktop versions of the site (responsive design, only a few years behind the curve!)

If you notice anything looking strange or not working, please drop me a note to fix - mention what device you are using too, please.

The main thing you might notice is the header bar - the menu button on the left, and the need to click on dropdowns rather than mouseover (so they work the same on touch screens). There are other improvements as well, and this was needed for some new features coming soon.
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 10:57:36 AM UTC
Everything looks great on my laptop/pc so far. Not so great on my Android devices though. The buttons are not reacting, multiple pushes to get 'Discuss' to drop down for instance and I am getting long hangups while typing. Sometimes having to close my browser to get things back in motion again.

A slightly odd thing om noticing on a pc is that when I expand the text box's size if I am adding pasted text, if I leave the window, when I come back the text boxes right side has floated under the right side posts section and does not then allow me to center the text box again.
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 1:28:49 PM UTC
Bit of overlap happening for me, on samsung galaxy.

5478_63d3d17c1a82d.jpg 1080X566 px
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 4:08:41 PM UTC
And it looks like my username in the upper left corner is partially blocked/cutoff.

I am using Safari on my iPhone 14 Pro Max with iOS 16.2. And this issue appears in either desktop mode or mobile…and happens in Chrome, too.

Lance

5090_63d3f6c57e659.jpeg 1290X2796 px
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 6:21:47 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Everything looks great on my laptop/pc so far. Not so great on my Android devices though. The buttons are not reacting, multiple pushes to get 'Discuss' to drop down for instance and I am getting long hangups while typing. Sometimes having to close my browser to get things back in motion again.

A slightly odd thing om noticing on a pc is that when I expand the text box's size if I am adding pasted text, if I leave the window, when I come back the text boxes right side has floated under the right side posts section and does not then allow me to center the text box again.

Thanks for the feedback!

A couple of questions so I can hopefully fix things.
  • "Android devices" - can you tell me (in PM is fine if you don't want to share publicly) what devices you are using?
  • Anyone else with Android devices having similar issues? I only have a small selection to test on and I am not able to reproduce this problem so far. The code for the site didn't change much from how it was previously (for a couple of years) so I didn't expect something so clearly bad to happen to anyone. Can you clear the browser history/cookies for this site? I am wondering if a bad mix of old and new files is cached on your device somehow.
  • For the text box resizing - that's strange! I've tried a small tweak (not allowing you to expand the text box horizontally, just vertically if you have a tall screen) that might help. When you resize a text box, it puts a fixed width/height on it (in pixels) that overrides the layout of the site, but it should still not overlap anything. After you get into this problematic state, does resizing your browser window help reset things? (Not the text box which you can't get to the resize control, the whole browser). What browser/OS are you seeing this on?
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 6:22:03 PM UTC

wheresrob wrote:

Bit of overlap happening for me, on samsung galaxy.

Fixed now?
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 6:23:28 PM UTC

LanceFormation wrote:

And it looks like my username in the upper left corner is partially blocked/cutoff.

I am using Safari on my iPhone 14 Pro Max with iOS 16.2. And this issue appears in either desktop mode or mobile…and happens in Chrome, too.

Lance

Better now? The problem I am working through is that some of you have extremely long usernames, so on small screens it can go really far into the other button areas. I tried truncating but agree that it doesn't look good. I've tried something that might work a bit better on most screens now.
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 6:37:51 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Thanks for the feedback!

A couple of questions so I can hopefully fix things.
  • "Android devices" - can you tell me (in PM is fine if you don't want to share publicly) what devices you are using?
  • Anyone else with Android devices having similar issues? I only have a small selection to test on and I am not able to reproduce this problem so far. The code for the site didn't change much from how it was previously (for a couple of years) so I didn't expect something so clearly bad to happen to anyone. Can you clear the browser history/cookies for this site? I am wondering if a bad mix of old and new files is cached on your device somehow.
  • For the text box resizing - that's strange! I've tried a small tweak (not allowing you to expand the text box horizontally, just vertically if you have a tall screen) that might help. When you resize a text box, it puts a fixed width/height on it (in pixels) that overrides the layout of the site, but it should still not overlap anything. After you get into this problematic state, does resizing your browser window help reset things? (Not the text box which you can't get to the resize control, the whole browser). What browser/OS are you seeing this on?

I'm on a Huawei Mate 20 Pro and a Samsung Tab A (Tablet).

The textbox issue is real odd. The width is fine so a restricted width would be fine my end. When I minimise a window, flip to a PDF or eBook and come back to the text box I am finding it larger and the right side is missing under the different post titles. It fixes when I refresh the page. I cut the text so I can paste it back, or I can 'Submit' and then it is back to normal. It doesn't happen every time though, so I'm a little confused by it as it might indicate it's my end, but it's happening on a PC and laptop. Both using latest Chrome.
27 Jan, 2023
2023-1-27 6:41:59 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

LanceFormation wrote:

Lance

Better now? The problem I am working through is that some of you have extremely long usernames, so on small screens it can go really far into the other button areas. I tried truncating but agree that it doesn't look good. I've tried something that might work a bit better on most screens now.

Looks good in both Safari and Chrome…thanks!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us