Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 5:55:33 PM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

I came to the price of 650 euro based on recent sales and not exactly that one singular sale from dogfark I’m 2014(who I think lists his stuff pretty high anyway). I do agree it might be low for a set like Laurin’s (the finest set!!!) who told me they purchased theirs for 450 euro in 2013 if I’m not mistaking. I have stated on another group that I’m willing to pay UP TO (or more) than 650 based on the condition. Well, it’s really hard to say…

I was told that the value of the RU set dropped in recent years, and now it’s starting to go back up again along with everything else.

On a humorous note, There is one fine set listed on Etsy for $8500.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/131904343 ... ref=hp_opfy-2&frs=1&cns=1

I'm glad you are doing this research, don't get me wrong! It is a very important skill to develop as you progress in your Tolkien collecting hobby. ?

What you have found so far, I would summarize as - €650 isn't enticing to the set of collectors who (a) have a set in the condition you want and (b) have seen your WTB ad. Also, that you can spend $8500 and have a set now, if you want (I agree this is very much overpriced for what you are looking for).

Continuing to offer €650 might eventually work for you, though I think the consensus here is that is low in the current market and someone could get more by listing their set on eBay. I personally feel that patience (eg watching the market like a hawk for many months or years) will reward you with an excellent set for less than you thought you would have to pay.

Important questions to ask yourself - what will you do with your set after you acquire it? Is there a pressing time constraint on having this particular set in this particular condition now (rather than in the next few years)? Do you have other things you are looking for in parallel? What if one of those shows up on the market at a great price, days after you spend money on the RU set?

For me, the hunt and watching the market and being surprised with great finds I didn't know I wanted are just as fulfilling to my collecting itch as landing one of the items I have been looking for for ages. We each have our own methods and goals and reasons for doing this. It is good to sit down every now and then and think about what you want and why, so that the hobby remains fun and doesn't become stressful.
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:00:59 PM UTC
To be entirely honest sir, I am in such a rush because I have a feeling in my gut that prices of things will soon be out of my reach. I just saw a moldy 10,8,8 1961 set with no slip case sell for $1200 two days ago. I got mine for only $690 just a few months ago. I really don’t have any faith in this wild market with worldwide inflation and other problem.

I have met one person who will potentially sell me their fine set, but that deal has yet to be made.

I will excitedly update you guys if it does happen :)

You are correct, that if I were just patient, things will probably work out. It seems I have no patience. I’ve been looking for a while though!
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:18:19 PM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

I have stated on another group that I’m willing to pay UP TO (or more) than 650 based on the condition.

Is there a meaningful distinction between “up to (or more)” and at least?
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:19:33 PM UTC
Don't get caught up in the FOMO (fear of missing out) is my strongest advice. We all are constantly missing out on Tolkien material we would love to have, and that will never change. There is, effectively, infinite Tolkien to collect, and more being made every year. You will never have "everything" or even "everything that I particularly like". Prices in the current market seem to be trending upwards very quickly I agree, but that will not last forever. Even if it does, there will always be affordable, cool, hard to find things that you will take great pleasure in finding, holding, and adding to your collection - and eventually passing on to other collectors.

I've been collecting Tolkien for over four decades - there are lots of members here on this site that have been collecting for far longer than me. None of us are "finished" and have found/acquired everything we are looking for. I am sure we all have gone through old catalogues and auction listings and said to ourselves "I couldn't afford that price then, and I can't afford what that currently sells for now" and felt the twinge of missing out, but I for one never give up hope that another copy will come on the market at just the right time and for the right price and I will snap it up and do the happy dance in front of you all as soon as I have it in my hands.
14 Feb, 2023 (edited)
2023-2-14 6:22:10 PM UTC
Based on my recent observations of the 2nd hand market. I think the rate for a set of 1st Ed. LOTR set from the 1960's whether RU/GA&U/or HMCO is around $1500 right now, give or take and depending on condition. So, if I had a spare set to sell (which I don't, I only have one) that would be in the neighborhood of my asking price.
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 6:24:24 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

but I for one never give up hope that another copy will come on the market at just the right time and for the right price and I will snap it up and do the happy dance in front of you all as soon as I have it in my hands.

He's right! I've seen him do it
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 7:32:26 PM UTC
Well, all in all I hope I get my hands on a set sooner rather than later!

We shall see. If this one deal comes through I'll be just fine.
14 Feb, 2023
2023-2-14 10:10:31 PM UTC
This is all great advice, Urulókë. I think it would make a nice article for new collectors coming to this site. (If such an intro/cautionary article already exists I’m not aware of it.)
16 Mar, 2023
2023-3-16 7:51:52 AM UTC
This has come up. The dust jackets are ok?!? Depending on what you're looking for.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
The Lord of the Rings, 1960 Set By Readers ...
J.R.R. Tolkien
£717.77
Availability: Not Available
16 Mar, 2023
2023-3-16 4:09:18 PM UTC
Thanks for looking out Tiny Turtle, but I have already agreed to purchase another collector’s set. Hopefully I’ll have it in my own collection in the near future. Thank you again.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us