Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Lord of the Rings First Edition Dustjackets and Slipcases

5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 11:44:50 AM UTC

I already have a nice set of VG+ LOTR First edition books that match my birth year with a very good+ 1961 slipcase unfortunately the dustjackets are a bit tatty or brown but bought at a very reasonable price. IMHO the seller didn't advertise their goods very well. I'm now looking to buy some of the 1950's editions. I have some questions which have been bugging me for a while.

My questions are:

1. When buying early editions how much of a premium should you pay for a VG/NFine book with or without a dustjacket? Is 80% of the value really the DJ!
2. For those years covered by slip cases how much of a premium does the slip case add?
3. Googling around I have seen dustcovered LOTR books that look amazingly clean but with faded colours and writing especilly on the spine. Looking at old comic books on the internet, some are chemically de-yellowed (see youtube). Is it possible that some dustjackets have been been 'restored'? Do barn finds that have spent 60+ years in a drawer still exist?
4. What colour is the original dustjacket, mine look like an off white, parchment colour but seeing some adds, one seller claims they are very light grey?
5. How does pricing change by impression, e.g is a Two Towers 1st edition 2nd impression worth much more than a 4th all things considered? (minus DJ)
6. How much would you tolerate a neat name and address in a 50's/60's book? I know when I was very young in the 60's it was common practise if not even encouraged
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 3:02:02 PM UTC
1. When buying early editions how much of a premium should you pay for a VG/NFine book with or without a dustjacket? Is 80% of the value really the DJ!
Much of the value in book collecting is tied to the condition of the dust jacket. A 1950's set of UK LOTR without DJ is worth about 1/4 of the cost as a set with DJ.

2. For those years covered by slip cases how much of a premium does the slip case add?
The first few states of the boxset are quite uncommon being produced at 500,500,& 400 sets for the first three. The last 1st state I remember seeing up for sale for example was over two years ago.

3. Googling around I have seen dustcovered LOTR books that look amazingly clean but with faded colours and writing especilly on the spine. Looking at old comic books on the internet, some are chemically de-yellowed (see youtube). Is it possible that some dustjackets have been been 'restored'? Do barn finds that have spent 60+ years in a drawer still exist?
Always possible that some resoration work has been done, that the dealer doesn't know about or is choosing not to devulge. This is why if interested in a set, you should post here and ask the experts about it.

4. What colour is the original dustjacket, mine look like an off white, parchment colour but seeing some adds, one seller claims they are very light grey?
The colors do vary some with print run I have noticed, with "light grey" to a more "off white, eggshell" very difficult question to answer definitely. Would have to have all sets in great condition, with equal lighting to really tell. Possible that the stock that GA&U had throughout the process changed slightly.

5. How does pricing change by impression, e.g is a Two Towers 1st edition 2nd impression worth much more than a 4th all things considered? (minus DJ)
The gap between a 2nd and 4th is not that great all things being equal, although a 2nd would be worth more. However the gap between a 4th and a 1st for example is much wider. 1st prints are always going to be worth a lot more than any reprint.

6. How much would you tolerate a neat name and address in a 50's/60's book? I know when I was very young in the 60's it was common practise if not even encouraged
Collector preference here, doesn't bother me personally as long as it doesn't damage the book, doesn't lessen the value for me, but other members here do feel differently.
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 3:08:20 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

The first few states of the boxset are quite uncommon being produced at 500,500,& 400 sets for the first three. The last 1st state I remember seeing up for sale for example was over two years ago.

This is particularly important for issues that were originally only issued in a slipcase, such as the 1963 Deluxe edition.
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 3:41:30 PM UTC
Thank you both, when doing HOME I was very picky and only bought what I saw as ~ fine with no writing but I'm becoming more tolerant with LoTR and 2nd edition Hobbits

Hopefully others will find your answers useful
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 5:40:56 PM UTC
The paper colour is referred to as Silver Grey in the publisher's records.

Look at the jacket flaps for the unfaded colour - it often faded to white.
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 6:32:54 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

6. [i]How much would you tolerate a neat name and address in a 50's/60's book? I know when I was very young in the 60's it was common practise if not even encouraged

Collector preference here, doesn't bother me personally as long as it doesn't damage the book, doesn't lessen the value for me, but other members here do feel differently.

Definitely collector preference. For me, I used to try avoid (if possible) any books with owner's name but as the years progressed, I became rather fond of owner's name (especially if accompanied by a date/year) in older books.

At this stage, it is pretty much - if it is pre 1966 - it does not bother me at all and would make no difference in value to me. If it is a post 1966 edition - I really prefer the edition to be clean.

I am not sure if my subconscious has programmed by mind this way to allow me to be content with owner's names written in older books - as it would be quite hard to acquire most older books if one of your criteria was no owner's name written in the book. Anyway - this formula allows me to add to the collection more easily (Whatever you need to tell yourself to make you happy etc).
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 7:07:22 PM UTC
good point, it seems handwriting was also neater in the 50s/60s? I used to have neat handwriting but 30+ years working all day with computers has taken its toll

Sometimes it even makes me a bit sad seeing the inscriptions for birthdays/christmas past and knowing that the people may no longer be with us even if they are strangers
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 9:30:05 PM UTC

billhinge wrote:

Sometimes it even makes me a bit sad seeing the inscriptions for birthdays/christmas past and knowing that the people may no longer be with us even if they are strangers

I don't seek out copies with owner inscriptions, but I like how they can strengthen the connection to a former owner, and it is a connection after all - even if, as you say, they are strangers.

I'm quite fond of this one from my 1st/2nd TT (GA&U):

5570_6405099e79636.jpg 4000X3000 px
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 11:52:43 PM UTC
DJ used hard. This set was more than just signed. Illuminated letter as part of a themed design at beginning of each chapter, + other annotations, underlining, cross references, including reference to 2e edition paperback. Each volume has Carol Coombs Hole (CCH) bookplate & small sticker inside top board of bookseller in Oxford. 192 pp with embellishments/illos, most colored pencil. Believe these additions to be the work of CCH, an award-winning professional librarian. Ebay seller replied this was acquired at an estate sale , knew nothing of provenance.L1040565.jpegVersion 2.jpegL1040543.jpegL1040227.jpeg
5 Mar, 2023
2023-3-5 11:59:18 PM UTC
I like that
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us