-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 8:43:07 AM UTC
Thank you Trotter
16 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-16 4:36:51 PM UTC

Lake Town Geezer wrote:

My thoughts were always that provided no monies are being made/asked for, and that full attribution to an artist is given, then certainly in legal terms things should be ok.

Should that same rule apply to all art, or just pictorial? If a musician gave a fan a private recording of a studio session, could that fan post that online as long as they didn't ask for money? How about a pdf of an unpublished novel from an author? [edited to be clear this is general conversational topic and not meant to be personal questions]

My personal take is that the artist's work is theirs (no matter the type of art). If they put it online, then sharing that further online with attribution is fine with me. If they gave it to you privately, then they should be asked before putting it online. For sketch art like these remarques, I feel that a low resolution photo is probably something the artist would be fine with (but I personally try to ask anyways).

I know my position isn't everyones! For this type of thread here, just keep your photos closer to the thumbnail size (as you did) than something that could be scraped and used inappropriately by third parties. Make sense?

I have a few Ted remarques that I will try to add to this thread soon as well. 馃榿
16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 5:08:32 PM UTC
My view is that the artist should have publicized it themselves, if not then permission should be asked for before it is shown on a site like this.
16 Aug, 2023 (edited)
2023-8-16 5:33:15 PM UTC
I think you are both 100% right on this. I think in this case we are fortunate Ted has now given permission for the images to appear here, otherwise they should have been taken down (as the other Luthien drawing is now down).

16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 5:34:05 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

My view is that the artist should have publicized it themselves, if not then permission should be asked for before it is shown on a site like this.

My same feeling, and to be clear, Ted is explicitly ok with what I described above - low resolution pictures of remarques he has made being posted here.

(Also side note I edited my post above to make it more clear I was not asking questions specifically at Lake Town Geezer)

16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 5:47:35 PM UTC
I think that a TCG watermark could be a useful tool for these sorts of posts. Something that protects the image from reproduction but allows collectors to see them. Something that includes a note on copyright and where people can get more info on these sorts of commissions for each artist. It would advertise the artist and protect their rights at the same time.
16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 6:09:09 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I think that a TCG watermark could be a useful tool for these sorts of posts. Something that protects the image from reproduction but allows collectors to see them. Something that includes a note on copyright and where people can get more info on these sorts of commissions for each artist. It would advertise the artist and protect their rights at the same time.

I do think this is a great idea, when I have a bit of free time. 馃槄
16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 7:06:18 PM UTC
Ted loves all the renewed interest in his remarqued pieces he's already done, but for potential other interested parties he is not accepting new requests until further notice. He just doesn't have time, sorry!

16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 7:42:34 PM UTC
My recommendation to anyone who loves Ted's work: save the pennies, buy an original piece or one of the wonderful signed prints. You will not regret it! The prints are printed on really great quality paper, signed, numbered and really something else (see details posted by Trotter earlier).
16 Aug, 2023
2023-8-16 9:54:28 PM UTC

Urul贸k毛 wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I do think this is a great idea, when I have a bit of free time. 馃槄

I won't throw my list of letters queries, additions, tooling ideas, updates, etc at you for a while in that case 馃槀
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us