Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 Mar, 2009
2009-3-6 9:26:34 AM UTC
Yeh! All those photo's ain't really convincing me pal! Really breakin' those spines () to take the pictures as well...

I really must be missing something here as well...

Lord of The Rings. Tolkien. All 3 books in 1 **Bidding has ended for this item**

BH
7 Mar, 2009
2009-3-7 1:37:42 PM UTC
8 Mar, 2009
2009-3-8 1:45:01 AM UTC
I must admit, I'd love to see the copyright holder (HarperCollins, I guess) stamping out the commercial sale of these facsimilie Dustjackets. Just because they are copies of older books doesn't mean that it isn't a violation of copyright. As soon as they are produced for commercial sale, any notion of "fair use" goes out of the window.

There are enough examples of books with genuine DJs in existence that these have no purpose from a historical perspective, and are primarily used to make a fast-dollar so that books in poor condition or missing DJs can be tarted up.

Having said that, I can see why it isn't really worth the effort for HC to do so (there isn't really any gain for them).

Stu
10 Mar, 2009
2009-3-10 7:03:49 PM UTC
Is this a rare copy, as I don't know much about US editions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Adventures- ... ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
10 Mar, 2009
2009-3-10 7:35:38 PM UTC
Not rare, I have a few copies (I think, have to go check the stack) myself that I have accumulated over the years. I do think the seller has an error, this is a hardcover edition not a paperback. Copies show up on eBay for about 1/10th that (so about $15 us or £10-12 or so).

Does remind me how pitifully behind I am updating the books section of the Guide. You can also go check out http://www.tolkienguide.us for Skwishmi's overview of US editions, this particular book is listed there as well.
16 Mar, 2009
2009-3-16 6:22:22 PM UTC
Rowns, the guide is very good, the bigger you make it, the more updates there are

Here's another, unbelievable price seller appears to have looked at some of the idiotic prices on the Internet (Abebooks cough), so I can't blame this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Book-of-Lost-Ta ... 65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318
18 Apr, 2009
2009-4-18 7:01:41 PM UTC
J.R.R. TOLKIEN LOTR FULLSET BOOKS(LEATHER)RARE

I wish I could afford these BCA reprints...

BH
19 Apr, 2009
2009-4-19 6:45:46 AM UTC
I'm surprised that the seller thinks they are 'leather' bound, I have never found them that convincing. They don't feel right which is I assume why the latter green BCA books were quarter bound in leather and look and feel a lot better, but must have more expensive to originally buy.

Anyone have any ideas as to original prices of these BCA editions?

Andrew
21 Apr, 2009
2009-4-21 3:26:10 AM UTC
Here is another eBay "rarity." The buy it now price is quite the bargain! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Silmarillion- ... 65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318
22 Apr, 2009
2009-4-22 9:20:35 AM UTC
The person with the "leather" books didn't like being advised that they weren't quite what they thought. It all went downhill from there... The amusing thing was that joyqueen1 posted my first email and reply to the Q&A section of the listing, which was a truly stupid thing to do. I can only assume that the person actually believes that these books aren't Book Club editions, despite the photos clearly showing "Book Club Associates" and "Guild Publishing". No accounting for the 95% of the population lower down the evolutionary ladder than myself, I guess... :)

Dear joyqueen1,

Hi,
Just wanted you to be are that these are Book Club Editions, and - most importantly - that they are not leather, but "leatherette"/plastic. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective), they usually sell for a few pounds.

Stu

- metapraxis02

Dear metapraxis02,

Sorry to tell you they are not BOOK Club Editions and the are Leather Bound.

- joyqueen1

Dear joyqueen1,

The pictures quite clearly show "By Arrangement with Guild Publishing", plus I am familiar with these editions. Guild (also known as BCA - Book Club Associates) is/was the Book Club that produced books by arrangement with GA&U. Makes no odds to me, but your listing is incorrect, and I thought you might like to know. Easier to hope you find a mug, eh?

- metapraxis02

Dear metapraxis02,

Hope u r a mug u plonker to busy putting your mug into anybodys eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

- joyqueen1

Dear joyqueen1,

Learn English - Maybe even try to get a couple of GCSEs.

- metapraxis02
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us