Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1 Nov, 2023
2023-11-1 8:37:29 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Thanks for sharing these! Not many collect them, but I do think it is an excellent use of time and resources to dig them up and document/share. Much appreciated.

Agreed. And comparing comtemporary reviews against modern can be a lot of fun, seeing how they have changed over time as something gains a footing in popular culture.

You're very welcome! It's relentlessly enlightening.

Now onthetrail you have me idly speculating on what Edmund Wilson would have made of The Rings of Power... 🤔
1 Nov, 2023
2023-11-1 8:47:41 PM UTC

Predictable Matt wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Thanks for sharing these! Not many collect them, but I do think it is an excellent use of time and resources to dig them up and document/share. Much appreciated.

Agreed. And comparing comtemporary reviews against modern can be a lot of fun, seeing how they have changed over time as something gains a footing in popular culture.

You're very welcome! It's relentlessly enlightening.

Now onthetrail you have me idly speculating on what Edmund Wilson would have made of The Rings of Power... 🤔

"oo. Those Awful Amazon's"
By Edmund Wilson.
The Rings of Power has a character much like Gandalph, but he is not Gandalph. Defenders, ahh they bubble, they squeal, they coo. They go on about the Rings of Power - but is has the charm and distinction, much like Tolkien himself, meaning there is none.

Sound about right? 😅
1 Nov, 2023
2023-11-1 9:09:42 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

"oo. Those Awful Amazon's"
By Edmund Wilson.
The Rings of Power has a character much like Gandalph, but he is not Gandalph. Defenders, ahh they bubble, they squeal, they coo. They go on about the Rings of Power - but is has the charm and distinction, much like Tolkien himself, meaning there is none.

Sound about right? 😅

Oh yes very good! I like that 👏
1 Nov, 2023
2023-11-1 9:16:31 PM UTC
One reason I like looking at old reviews in situ is that this helps to remove mass media impressions and academic clichés that have formed in recent years. Reviewers could focus on what they actually read rather than referring boringly to the international Tolkien marketing phenomenon and so on.
1 Nov, 2023
2023-11-1 9:23:29 PM UTC
Great to see the classified ad for Tolkien fans (Predictable Matt, 29 June).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us