Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Maps of Middle-earth

9 Dec, 2023 (edited)
2023-12-9 5:33:47 PM UTC

Some more information on

The Maps of Middle-earth: From Númenor and Beleriand to Wilderland and Middle-earth

From Númenor and Beleriand to Wilderland and Middle-earth
By Brian Sibley, Illustrated by John Howe

IMG_0121.jpeg

Available together for the first time in a single hardback volume, J.R.R. Tolkien’s maps of The Hobbit, Beleriand, Middle-earth and Númenor – re-illustrated by John Howe – are presented as full colour foldout posters and accompanied by a richly detailed text by Brian Sibley.

This new hardback edition of THE MAPS OF MIDDLE-EARTH presents J.R.R. Tolkien’s maps of Wilderland, Beleriand and Middle-earth, together with a unique map of the island-kingdom of Númenor, as featured in Amazon Prime’s THE RINGS OF POWER.

Each poster-sized foldout map has been re-imagined in full colour by John Howe, the world-renowned Tolkien artist who has worked on Peter Jackson’s Academy Award-winning Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Rings of Power TV series as well as the forthcoming Warner Bros animated film, The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim.

The maps are accompanied by a fascinating and authoritative, fully illustrated 160-page text written by Brian Sibley, author of the Sunday Times bestselling THE FALL OF NÚMENOR and leading expert on THE LORD OF THE RINGS (he adapted the work for the acclaimed 1981 BBC radio dramatisation), which recounts the story behind each map and provides a richly detailed glossary of every name, place and event.

Designed to complement the growing range of hardback editions of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, this brand new edition is the perfect companion for every fan wishing to learn more about the world of Tolkien’s Middle-earth.

ISBN: 978-0008669461
On Sale: April 11, 2024
HarperCollins Preorders: January 12, 2024
Pages: 160 pages
List Price: £25.00

• a slightly expanded version of The Maps of Middle-earth, with updated text by Brian and some revised illustrations by John. To keep the price as reasonable as possible, we’ve dispensed with expensive slipcases etc., so this time it’s a conventional jacketed hardback with four maps shrinkwrapped inside.

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated

The Maps of Middle-earth: From Númenor and Beleriand to Wilderland and Middle-earth (UK)

HarperCollins (2024-04-11)

£25.00 HarperCollins (Hardback) - Availability: Click to check
$23.75 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 24 hours
$34.08 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Backorderable
£20.07 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€31.28 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
£23.24 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check

https://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmi ... Fvariant%3D40456390082638

ISBN: 978-0063387317
On Sale: April 9, 2024
William Morrow
Pages: 160 pages

The Maps of Middle-earth: From Númenor and Beleriand to Wilderland and Middle-earth (US)

William Morrow (2024-04-09)

$26.41 Blackwell's (hardback) - Availability: Usually dispatched within 72 hours
$27.49 Amazon.com (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
£40.26 Amazon.co.uk (Hardcover) - Availability: Now
€25.99 Amazon.de (Gebundene Ausgabe) - Availability: Now
$19.87 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
$18.00 eBay US - Availability: Click to check
9 Dec, 2023
2023-12-9 5:58:32 PM UTC
Thanks Trotter. I had a version of this preordered for a little while but now swapped that out for the HarperCollins edition. Looking forward to revisiting these maps and text and a new format.
16 January (edited)
2024-1-16 12:02:58 AM UTC
From Brian Sibley on social media:
HOT OFF THE PRESS! A brand new edition of J. R. R. TOLKIEN: THE MAPS OF MIDDLE-EARTH. I've revised the text and added a new Preface telling the story of how (thirty years ago in 1994) John Howe and I began collaborating on a series of little books devoted to Middle-earth cartography. This edition (now uniform with all the other Tolkien titles) contains dozens of new pencil drawings by John and (tucked inside the front and back covers) his four original colour maps ready to be displayed.

IMG_0121.jpeg
13 April
2024-4-13 12:47:47 PM UTC
It is now a proper book, with the maps added as loose endpapers.

IMG_3343.JPG
IMG_3344.JPG

As you can see, they had to make the maps a lot smaller to fit four of them inside the book.

IMG_3345.JPG
13 April
2024-4-13 12:56:35 PM UTC
My copy arrived today. I really appreciate the standard book form, works very well. A nicely printed edition, not expensive feeling but solid.

I almost wish they had not bothered with external maps at all and somehow included them over pages in the book. But those who do not have any previous editions will of course find those a draw.
13 April
2024-4-13 3:10:07 PM UTC
Nice to see, Trotter. I’m still waiting for my book to arrive. I’ve seen someone on fb show the map comparison between the old ones and the new edition, and now you’ve also done so. But I was wondering how the maps in the three small books compares size wise? I can wait for mine if you’re unable to show 🙂
13 April
2024-4-13 5:05:57 PM UTC

Huan wrote:

Nice to see, Trotter. I’m still waiting for my book to arrive. I’ve seen someone on fb show the map comparison between the old ones and the new edition, and now you’ve also done so. But I was wondering how the maps in the three small books compares size wise? I can wait for mine if you’re unable to show 🙂

The three different sizes of the maps.

10_661abb714ef9c.jpg 6000X4000 px
13 April
2024-4-13 5:33:46 PM UTC
Thanks for that. That’s quite some size differences between them. I’ve not bought the original release but do have the three small books, but that’s the reason I’m getting this latest release because of the fourth map.
17 April
2024-4-17 3:09:30 PM UTC
Is the original version of this (1994?) a paperback? Can't find these on TolkienBooks.US. UK only? I want that largest sized map :)
17 April
2024-4-17 3:14:30 PM UTC
I think it was UK only.

The Map of Tolkien's Middle-Earth

HarperCollins Publishers (1994-04-17)

$11.93 Blackwell's (paperback) - Availability: Unknown
$12.59 Biblio (paperback) - Availability: Click to check
$29.63 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£9.58 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€14.98 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
£9.11 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£5.99 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

The Map of Tolkien's Beleriand and the Lands to the North

HarperCollins Publishers (1999-04-17)

$79.60 Biblio (Soft cover) - Availability: Click to check
$241.87 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£149.90 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€130.80 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
CAD 81.04 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£39.95 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check

There and Back Again - The Map of the Hobbit

HarperCollins Publishers (1995-04-17)

$3.41 Biblio (Paperback) - Availability: Click to check
$4.22 Amazon.com (Paperback) - Availability: Now
£2.50 Amazon.co.uk (Paperback) - Availability: Now
€4.56 Amazon.de (Taschenbuch) - Availability: Now
£3.38 AbeBooks - Availability: Click to check
£3.91 eBay UK - Availability: Click to check
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us