Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Dec, 2023
2023-12-9 12:10:25 PM UTC

Amon Rudh wrote:

It certainly looks that way. The more I see the more I am sure I'll enjoy them even more than my POD versions. I will be reading them all over the next couple of years along with other Tolkien of course! I'm actually quite excited to receive them now.

I am planning to use these new editions as work-horses for the Guide to Tolkien's Letters so am really looking forward to reading HoME again, in order. It has been too long since I sat down with a volume and read from start to finish. Very much looking forward to that.
9 Dec, 2023
2023-12-9 3:18:35 PM UTC
It's certainly a no-brainer for people like me who want but had not yet bought a hardback edition.

I've spent the afternoon making a start on BOLT1 while the storm rages outside and it's a lovely book, frankly.

I certainly enjoyed reading the digital editions of HoME but I find that especially with books such as these the actual experience of reading is so much more enjoyable with a nice hardback - flipping back and forth to the notes, poring over every word, and so forth. A wonderful way to spend a winter weekend.
9 Dec, 2023
2023-12-9 3:37:49 PM UTC
Lucky you! My set is getting delayed againnn
Enjoy!
11 Dec, 2023 (edited)
2023-12-11 7:36:42 PM UTC
Thanks to https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/thenileuksh ... et_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I got my set at a brilliant price, quickly and superbly protected in transit.
My initial views are:
No issues with spine print alignment
The fading text about the same as I remember was the case with POD. Not a big problem and aesthetic only.
The block is bound in such a way as to make it more enjoyable and less stressful to read. The glue was much thicker on POD (I was afraid it would crack although it never did) and did not appear to have the cloth overcoat of this new set.
The paper is a bit more vanilla (off white) cf the POD which were stark white and I prefer the feel of the new paper. Very subjective but it feels more like book paper where the POD felt a bit like copier paper.

I am absolutely thrilled with mine and happy I took the opportunity to sell my POD set and replace with these. I'd certainly have no issues recommending them based on first impressions and comparison albeit mentally with the POD set.

This relates to a UK first edition set.

12 Dec, 2023
2023-12-12 6:41:43 AM UTC

Amon Rudh wrote:

Thanks to https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/thenileuksh ... et_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I got my set at a brilliant price, quickly and superbly protected in transit.
My initial views are:
No issues with spine print alignment
The fading text about the same as I remember was the case with POD. Not a big problem and aesthetic only.
The block is bound in such a way as to make it more enjoyable and less stressful to read. The glue was much thicker on POD (I was afraid it would crack although it never did) and did not appear to have the cloth overcoat of this new set.
The paper is a bit more vanilla (off white) cf the POD which were stark white and I prefer the feel of the new paper. Very subjective but it feels more like book paper where the POD felt a bit like copier paper.

I am absolutely thrilled with mine and happy I took the opportunity to sell my POD set and replace with these. I'd certainly have no issues recommending them based on first impressions and comparison albeit mentally with the POD set.

This relates to a UK first edition set.

Thanks, this is very helpful information. I was thinking about getting a POD set too, but think I will just stick with these new releases.
12 Dec, 2023
2023-12-12 7:02:51 PM UTC
POD has now stopped anyway. I agree with the comment on the paper too.
12 Dec, 2023
2023-12-12 8:02:18 PM UTC
True Huan about POD but a few people, me included were interested in how they compare. Especially me as I cliff jumped and sold my POD hoping it would be a good move. I consider that it was (phew!). 🙂🥵
14 Dec, 2023
2023-12-14 1:26:35 PM UTC
Those who have copies; now that you have them in hand, which covers are you choosing?

I'm keeping the matte/illustrated ones to match the rest of my editions; it really is a nice-looking shelf with them all lined up.
14 Dec, 2023 (edited)
2023-12-14 1:33:05 PM UTC
I'll use the matte covers as well to fit nicely with all the other books of that style. However, I'll keep an eye out for people selling their Silm and UT, so I can have these on the shelf next to my original HoME books with the reversed dust jackets.
14 Dec, 2023
2023-12-14 1:58:20 PM UTC
Definitely the illustrated ones for me. They are stunning. Might be worth a shared purchase scheme on TCG for those that want only the UT/Silmarillion books or the BOLT 1/2 books. Especially with the 50% off HC tomorrow!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us