Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 May (edited)
2024-5-2 3:26:57 PM UTC

northman wrote:

I sincerely doubt that. $1000 for a limited FS deluxe beats $250 for HC mass produced set easily imho. A Folio Society deluxe is just book as an art in itself.

northman : In US dollars, the LE Folio Society set was priced at US$ 1250/1300 (since it was £1000). But I still second your opinion
The upcoming HC set might be a good surprise however: if only they can print the illustrations on glossy paper, and use, for the text, the same kind of acid free heavy-weight paper used, for example, for Beren and Luthien deluxe edition, I will be happy with that.
2 May
2024-5-2 3:43:54 PM UTC
This is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. With the HC site discount the new edition can be had for 50% off (£125) so almost 90% less than the Folio Society retail price (and much more than that for current market price). The HarperCollins is not limited, and is mass produced with much lower quality materials. These are intended for different customers, definitely!

I was not happy with a lot of the Folio decisions, and didn't buy one new and do not regret that decision. I would have at a much lower price, but they certainly know their market and I was not needed as a consumer for it to succeed (nor should anyone feel less of their set because I personally don't like it!)

I am looking forward to this new HarperCollins set. I feel like they have done a pretty good job improving their deluxe editions from prior mistakes and feedback. And it does sound like there will be new Alan Lee artwork in this edition not available elsewhere, and that's never a bad thing.
2 May
2024-5-2 3:56:56 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I am looking forward to this new HarperCollins set. I feel like they have done a pretty good job improving their deluxe editions from prior mistakes and feedback. And it does sound like there will be new Alan Lee artwork in this edition not available elsewhere, and that's never a bad thing.

I completely agree here. HC has learned a lot, and they’re using graphicom again as their publisher for it. I think the quality will be great.

I for one am very excited for this, and personally don’t see a lot of room for disappointment. Great design, cool artwork, wonderful publisher, and it’s 3 volumes!

Plus October is my birth month, so happy birthday to me!
2 May
2024-5-2 6:45:51 PM UTC
It was actually $1500. I can't say I liked the look of them, but that's a personal opinion. No real idea what these new ones will look like nor the quality level. Certainly won't be 1/4 bound leather like the Folio books.

northman wrote:

I sincerely doubt that. $1000 for a limited FS deluxe beats $250 for HC mass produced set easily imho. A Folio Society deluxe is just book as an art in itself.

Luckyshot wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Zaister wrote:

I think it's interesting to nota that these aren't red in any way.

By the way, which Folio edition has Alan Lee illustrations?

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=38734#forumpost38734
Wow! Missed that release. Those insane prices make this seem a bargain.
2 May
2024-5-2 7:49:20 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

This is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison. With the HC site discount the new edition can be had for 50% off (£125) so almost 90% less than the Folio Society retail price (and much more than that for current market price). The HarperCollins is not limited, and is mass produced with much lower quality materials. These are intended for different customers, definitely!

I was not happy with a lot of the Folio decisions, and didn't buy one new and do not regret that decision. I would have at a much lower price, but they certainly know their market and I was not needed as a consumer for it to succeed (nor should anyone feel less of their set because I personally don't like it!)

How does one go about getting this 50% discount? 👀
2 May
2024-5-2 8:23:52 PM UTC

Joaozin wrote:

They offer 30% regularly, 40% for seasonal sales and then have short flash sales with 50% off (usually announced through their email list).

We try to keep the currently available coupon code on this page but searching online will also usually work for usable codes on their site. You must be in the UK, sadly.

2 May
2024-5-2 10:27:40 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Joaozin wrote:

They offer 30% regularly, 40% for seasonal sales and then have short flash sales with 50% off (usually announced through their email list).

We try to keep the currently available coupon code on this page but searching online will also usually work for usable codes on their site. You must be in the UK, sadly.

Worth saying (for UK buyers) 30% is available any day of the week. You just need to register with a new email address.
2 May (edited)
2024-5-2 10:41:50 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The paper on the Folio edition was genuinely amongst the best I have ever experienced. My main problem with it was the sheer unnecessary size (much of which was simply wasted on giant borders). It was just absurdly heavy and inconvenient. I also didn't love the colours and design (some of which appears to have been carried over to the front boards of HarperCollins edition, albeit in modified form). Assuming quality is about the same as the recent Graphicom Hobbit, I think the HC edition will give 90% of the utility of the Folio edition without the significant cost and size disadvantages. There is no way the plates are going to be as good as in the Folio or the [differently colour graded] 1992, but at a discounted street price that is likely to be an 8th of the original street price of the Folio, I think it will be worth having. I really just hope they work hard on getting the images to look as good as they can given the likely limitations of the paper and print technology being used.

Edit: Another thought is that the three of the seven new AL illustrations used on the FS Edition were used on the covers and were printed small (and not especially high dpi). Hopefully we will see those become full size illustrations in the new books.
3 May
2024-5-3 5:06:57 AM UTC
Preordered at amazon.de -with the Preorder price guarantee my order is now 167€ (and can become less)
3 May
2024-5-3 5:38:44 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Joaozin wrote:

You have to wait until the book becomes available for pre-order from HarperCollins, I list most of the pre-order dates on the HarperCollins Store Page, https://www.tolkienguide.com/store/HarperCollins

This book is the 12th July 2024 and then wait for HarperCollins to have a sale, normally every couple of months, to order it. The book is listed as Other in the dropdown list on their site at the moment.

https://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmi ... 70b4fc006720acb4067f7af4e
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us