Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 May (edited)
2024-5-3 8:14:34 AM UTC
Amazon Germany are already down to €192.
3 May
2024-5-3 9:45:38 AM UTC
I'm quite excited about this edition - whilst also worrying about the groaning wight of my bookshelves, particularly if, as suggested, this is followed up with matching editions of The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, which I will just have to have. I'm already struggling making room for the boxed HofME sets, with another few volumes to go in that series, plus the mammoth Hammond and Scull two volume poems set coming out later this year. I almost wish Harper Collins would give us a rest.

Along with all my other book collecting interests, many rooms in my house are starting to resemble a disorganised book shop, with piles of books everywhere.

Interested to read the comments on the Folio edition. I didn't buy that one because it seemed to offer little over other editions, except the exquisite quality, which also has it's downsides in weight and unecessarily large page margins. The illustrations were just the standard Alan Lee ones, which I have in many other editions, so it underwhelmed me. no regrets on passing that, although I'm sure it's a beauty. At least this new edition promises new illustrations in addition to the familiar ones.
3 May
2024-5-3 6:34:37 PM UTC

Quicksilver wrote:

The illustrations were just the standard Alan Lee ones, which I have in many other editions, so it underwhelmed me. no regrets on passing that, although I'm sure it's a beauty. At least this new edition promises new illustrations in addition to the familiar ones.

Featuring stunning new work by Alan Lee alongside all of his original illustrations
53 colour illustrations in total printed on Veltique paper tipped within printed borders 

This is from the Folio's description of the 2022 set. The set did have several new pieces, which will also be incorporated into this 70th set.
5 May
2024-5-5 3:59:51 PM UTC
I hadn't realised that. Thanks for clarifying. Nice that we will see them in this edition.
5 May
2024-5-5 8:28:03 PM UTC
Did the Folio Society Limited Editions have the pencil sketches? If so, were they new or were they out of Alan Lee's Lord of the Rings sketchbook. Also, what were the new paintings, and can anyone post some pics of them?
5 May (edited)
2024-5-5 9:16:45 PM UTC

Swamp Donkey wrote:

Did the Folio Society Limited Editions have the pencil sketches? If so, were they new or were they out of Alan Lee's Lord of the Rings sketchbook. Also, what were the new paintings, and can anyone post some pics of them?

You may find the video that we produced upon release helpful.

As well as the discussion on it at the time.
https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... php?topic_id=4435&start=0
6 May
2024-5-6 1:23:12 PM UTC
Thanks! Watched and read.
6 May
2024-5-6 2:25:31 PM UTC
One of my absolute favourite LotR editions along with sets like the 1992 3-volume deluxe, the icelandic and japanese first editions and the first LotR deluxe from 1962/63. Also a great set to read in the corner of a sofa. The rendition of the artwork is just amazing.

Swamp Donkey wrote:

9 May
2024-5-9 1:03:52 PM UTC
I have had luck with AwesomeBooks with shipping to Texas, and just pre-ordered a copy.

https://www.awesomebooks.com/book/9780 ... 430/the-lord-of-the-rings

Awesomebooks
9 May
2024-5-9 2:24:29 PM UTC
Does Awesome Books take payment when the preorder is placed or at dispatch time?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us