Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

6 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-6 12:55:04 PM UTC
Has anyone actually received any of the new POD HoME titles yet?

I received my HoME Index 1st Hb Ed. yesterday. Without going into any detail regarding uniformity or quality, I did notice that the copyright page has no mention of printing or publishing date i.e. '2010' is nowhere stated. Also, perhaps where the date should have been stated, it has a big typo, with nonsense and overlapping printed characters.

Anyone else got their copy? Copyright page typo present?

BH
6 May, 2010
2010-5-6 7:27:36 PM UTC
Yep, mine arrived yesterday, and with the same typo.

- wellinghall
6 May, 2010
2010-5-6 8:02:18 PM UTC
I pointed out your issues to David @ HC and he is investigating. Thanks for the tips! He said they just started printing them this week, so you are probably getting the very first few copies.
7 May, 2010
2010-5-7 6:27:12 AM UTC
Well having the first copies with a typo might just make these PODs unique :)

Stu.
7 May, 2010
2010-5-7 6:34:55 AM UTC
Stu - As I only have 1-4 & 7 in paperback, I'd essentially be interested in having a look at whatever you're willing to part with!

Sorry Mr Burns, I'm currently in the wilds of the Morobe province of Papua New Guinea, but I did a quick check before I left Australia and there were at least the copies I had previously mentioned (possibly more when I look in other boxes). I'll be back in civilisation towards the end of next week, so I'll do some snaps then.

It is currently raining very hard, but the view is very Fangorn-like with forest stretching between 50 and 100ks in pretty much any direction. Just hoping that my accommodation for the night doesn't end up at the bottom of the valley as heavy rain = landslips in these parts!

Stu
13 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-13 10:12:10 PM UTC
I just got back to the real world today and my copy was waiting for me in the office. It has the same typo as others have noted (which is to be expected as it would have come from the same batch, given that I ordered on the first day).

Overall, I think the quality is really quite impressive for a POD (bar the glaring typo).

The boards look fine and the DJ also looks good, my only comment would be that the dot-density is a little lower than a traditionally printed DJ, so close up inspection reveals the printing technique slightly. The spine is very square, as per the last few volumes of the original printings of HoME (edit: on comparision, more so than the originals. Care is needed to ensure the DJ doesn't get pulled tight against the hard edge of the spine or it will get an annoying crease. I have covered mine with a brodart, protector which should help a bit in this regard).

For the Index at least, I think they have done a pretty good job (edit: especially given how few of these will really be sold). For the other 12 volumes (bar the last two or three which are expensive), I would always try and just acquire them second hand, rather than spend 40 pounds a-piece for the PODs, though.

I'd be interested to hear a review from someone who has purchased a volume containing colour plates.

Edit: Probably also worth mentioning that the gold lines, logo and writing are not "metallic", as per the original.

Stu
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 6:44:19 AM UTC
I noticed that Tom Shippey's "J.R.R. Tolkien Author of the Century" has been issued as a print-on-demand paperback on the 7th May 2010. I am surprised that they did not reissue the hardback version.

http://www.tolkien.co.uk/titles/58197 ... tom-shippey-9780261104013
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 8:03:47 AM UTC
Got my index today- same typo error as previously mentioned.
Pleased wiht looks overall
Has anyone raised error with Harper Collins at all?
15 May, 2010
2010-5-15 8:05:08 AM UTC
ignore last post - just seen jeremys comments previously!
Sorry must get some more black coffee in me pre typing !
17 May, 2010
2010-5-17 4:46:40 PM UTC
Got my copy today with no ISBN and the wrong font used for HarperCollins and the date , according to David Brawn at HC, they have stopped sending out Print-on-Demand books until the issue is resolved, looks like the printers sent them out to early before proof copies were sent to HC.

David is sending me another copy after an email of complaint, which is just as well, because my copy was bound upside down.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us