eBay Seller: dogfark

eBay Seller: dogfark

Nov 26, 2017 - in Collector's Marketplace (edited)
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

BUYER BEWARE

Let's talk a little bit about book descriptions...

The previous auction for this signed copy of The Silmarillion finished yesterday (25th November); the winning bid was £410, won by dogfark (Festival Art & Books). A day later we have it listed for more than double that price with the following description:

George Allen and Unwin, 1977 First edition. Near fine book and jacket. No flaws to mention. Rare for being signed by Christopher Tolkien. It was likely signed at a more recent event, not in 1977, but we can;t say. We will garranty its his signature with a COA, please ask. We have sold only a few Christopher Tolkien signed books as few come on the market. Now quite elderly and having left the Tolkien Estate as trustee, we doubt there will be many of his signed items coming on the market and his signature is likely to soar in value. It is appropriate to have his signature in this book, the first he edited and published on his father's behalf. Don't delay, this will sell fast as an awesome Xmas gift to a Tolkien fan or for yourself!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-R-R-Tolki ... a3bb46:g:scMAAOSwAHtaGvni

The previous seller was not a bookseller, enthusiastically describing the book as in "exceptional unread condition". However the description did go on to described how the DJ "has a very slight small tear at the top of spine"; something that is noticeable from the photos. The seller (evidently upon responding to enquires) further amended the listing adding...

The red in the wording Silmarillion on the spine of the dust cover has some slight fading when compared to the red of the wording on the front. No doubt this is due to light. Please email me if you would like to see an additional photo showing this.

The seller had already provided twelve photos in the listing.

The new auction for this signed copy, by dogfark, has only three photos to illustrate the condition to potential buyers. These images appear to be the photos taken by the previous seller. [EDIT: this would be in breach of eBay's "Images and text policy" (see here).] The book now has "No flaws to mention", that jacket tear & spine fade apparently too insignificant to warrant mentioning in the description.

For those interested dogfark has another signed Christopher Tolkien item available too:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-R-R-Tolki ... 2ee974:g:R04AAOSwU8hY7jLq

This item was bought off eBay in April for £99:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Of-Woot ... f91992:g:iPEAAOSwj85YRuJN

BH

EDIT: I have edited some of my comments in light of the updates that have been made to the auction listing (27th November).

By garm

Re: eBay Seller: dogfark

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

He still can't spell, I see. And apart from his naff description and the rest; in my opinion he doesn't know Tolkien bibliography -

''It is appropriate to have his signature in this book, the first he edited and published on his father's behalf.''

The first book edited & published by Christopher containing JRR's work was his translations of Sir Gawain & the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo in 1975.

[Edited for clarity of personal opinion]

By Stu

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

The 1946 Hobbit that he had for sale recently had an inscription on the fep that he failed to provide any pictures of (but he did state it was present). He isn't by any means the only seller to do this (leaving out photos of inscriptions), but I think professional sellers should clearly present all the warts. Some do, some don't. I buy from the sellers that do.

It is my personal opinion that he is undoubtedly one of those sellers that generally over-prices. He also sometimes makes claims of likely future value, which I think is inappropriate. No one can predict the future value of books. Again, he is not the only seller to do this, but that doesn't make it something I approve of. Books go up and down in value and it is anybody's guess what they will do in the future. In recent times they have been trending down.

Buyer beware, I guess. I'd personally never buy off any seller that doesn't offer me good value (the prices asked often simply don't correlate with what I believe to be market value), but it is up to any buyer to decide whether a seller is offering something that is good or bad value on a case by case basis.

[Edited for clarity of personal opinion]

Nov 27, 2017 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Viewing the auction/listing today it's clear the seller has revised some of the comment:

There is no issue regarding what is a first edition book. The first American edition came a year later. There however two versions of the first edition dust jacket. One without a price on the flap, export edition and one with £4.95 the UK edition. The export edition was released first, now harder to find, though UK editions of all the title remain the most collected. Ideally you should have one of each.

I'm offering a choice of three dust jackets with the book as the fact it is signed is more important to the value than which jacket. The three choices are, 1) UK editions w/ £4.95 price. (main photo) Spine title red is slightly fade, jacket has some suffice scratches and a tiny tear to spine head (shown in the photo above). 2) Export edition, (shown on left in two book photo) no price, but with complete fading to spine colors, covers otherwise lovely. 3) A price clipped version with true spine colors and no wear anywhere. It would display the nicest in this dust jacket. (shown on right)

Order before December 1st and pay list price, I will let you have all three jackets versions! If you want the books also, shipping will be double due to the extra weight of three books.

It's nice to see the seller has decided to actually describe the condition of the DJ; maybe he read the criticism made here of the listing as it was originally worded? That's all this is, dogfark. Criticism.

Note: the first US edition did not come out "a year later". This is incorrect.

In respect to the "three dustjackets" option, my advice to any potential buyer would be to keep the original DJ. The bibliographical integrity of this signed edition is as important as the Christopher Tolkien signature itself. It makes no sense to swap the original "slightly faded" jacket with either an unpriced & faded jacket, or a price-clipped superior alternative.

BH

Nov 27, 2017 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk

Even just a little light proofreading would go a long way also. For what it's worth, I would agree with the Buyer Beware comments... I've seen plenty of this seller's listings and never once can I remember seeing a fair price or an honest (or at least accurate) description.

Nov 28, 2017 - in Collector's Marketplace
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Further mutiple edits made today to the listing...

George Allen and Unwin, 1977 First edition. Fine book and jacket. Very slight fading to spine title colors, with a small scratch and tear, likely from being pulled out from a shelf by the spine head. Very rare for being signed by Christopher Tolkien. It might have been signed at the time of publication in 1977 as the book is in unread condition overall. The binding is stiff indicating its not been opened much. We can't say for sure when it was signed, but we will guarranty the signature with a COA, please ask. We have sold only a few Christopher Tolkien signed books as so few come on the market. He's quite elderly and now having left the Tolkien Estate as a trustee, we doubt there will be many of his signed items available in the future. His signature is likely to soar in value with serious Tolkien collectors. It is appropriate to have his signature in this book, the first he totally reworked and published on his father's behalf.

There is no issue regarding what is a first edition book. (The first American edition came a year later). There is however two versions of the first edition dust jacket. One without a price on the inner flap, the export export edition and one with £4.95, the UK only edition. The export edition was supposedly released first, now harder to find, though UK first editions of all Tolkien's masterpieces remain the most collected editions. Ideally you should have one of each dust jacket in your collection as well as an American edition from 1978.

I'm offering a choice of three dust jackets with the book as the fact it is signed is more important to the overall value than which jacket it has. The three choices are, 1) UK edition w/ £4.95 price. (main photo) Spine title red is very slightly fades, jacket has some surface scratches and a tiny tear to spine head (shown in the photo above). 2) Export edition, (shown on left in two book photo) no price, but with complete fading to spine colors, covers otherwise lovely with no tears. 3) A price clipped version with true spine colors and no wear anywhere. I would display the nicest in this dust jacket. (shown on right)

Listing now has new/original photos, which is an improvement. Buy-It-Now price is now £1,195; which is one of the highest prices I've ever seen for this type of CT signed Silmarillion. Time will tell if anyone pays this kind of price for it...

BH

By Stu

Nov 29, 2017 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

The whole idea of swapping in a jacket from a different state of the book is fairly awful. If I was the seller and wanted to do that to make the book appealing, I think I'd at least provide the correct one, and then provide a non-correct but better-looking one in addition (i.e. just a bonus extra) to improve shelf appeal. I don't personally have an issue with swapping jackets for a better example of the same state (which frankly given this is a Sil, would be quite easy, given unsigned they are ten-a-penny).

© 2018 TolkienGuide.com and respective authors. Contact Us