Pictures by J.R.R. Tolkien
$17.79
TolkienGuide is an Amazon.com affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 2, 2021
2021/9/2 16:44:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Did someone attend the Tolkien in translation panel?

The organizers contacted me to use the compilation of Ring verse translations I have in my blog, but unfortunately I couldn't attend .

That session is Friday afternoon (tomorrow) UK time. I plan on listening in if at all possible!
Sep 2, 2021
2021/9/2 16:59:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Did someone attend the Tolkien in translation panel?

The organizers contacted me to use the compilation of Ring verse translations I have in my blog, but unfortunately I couldn't attend .

That session is Friday afternoon (tomorrow) UK time. I plan on listening in if at all possible!

Oops, yes, sorry. Lots of things going on right now.

That panel should be very fun!
Sep 3, 2021
2021/9/3 9:06:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
A collecting talk is coming up at Oxonmoot in about 30 minutes

In the USA of the counter-culture generation, the Barbara Remington artwork for the Ballantine edition of LOTR, together with the related poster art, arguably became the look of Tolkien for a generation.

In the UK the Pauline Baynes triptych became the celebrated artwork for the first omnibus paperback edition, published by Allen & Unwin in 1968.

The talk will explore the pleasures of collecting Tolkien paperbacks for their cover art, whilst celebrating the early designs for their novel and very different interpretations of the Middle Earth landscapes.

The talk will go on to deconstruct the contrasting artwork of Baynes and Remington. Both sets of cover art are triptychs, and imagine Tolkien’s world in a series of unforgettable vistas that arguably defined Tolkien for the counter-culture generation.

The talk will include a visual presentation of the related cover art and copies of the books and related ephemera will be on display in Oxford.

Chris Trwoga is a collector of Tolkien books and artwork. His particular interest is in the landscapes of Middle-earth both as a walker and past mountaineer, and as an author of four books relating to the interpretation of landscapes.
He is currently working on a book that combines stories with outdoor activities and exploration for young children.
Jan 16
2022/1/16 17:05:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Bookings are open for the 2022 Oxonmoot

More info at https://www.tolkiensociety.org/events/oxonmoot-2022/

Jan 16
2022/1/16 20:28:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Looking foward to another Oxonmoot! Probably online for me. I edited that film for the TS, really fun to revisit the 2021 edition. By the way if TCG ever thinks on making videos, I'm a professional filmmaker and editor, so I would be very happy to help in that department.
May 31
2022/5/31 16:34:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

Bookings are open for the 2022 Oxonmoot

More info at https://www.tolkiensociety.org/events/oxonmoot-2022/

Just a quick reminder, the "early bird" discount of £10 ends today (May 31). To claim your Early Bird Discount, please use code WIZARD2022 when booking.

I've booked for online attendance (and hope to run an informal zoom gathering), hope to see some of you there!
May 31
2022/5/31 16:44:09 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

I've booked for online attendance (and hope to run an informal zoom gathering), hope to see some of you there!

We could try and run two zoom gatherings at different times so that more people could attend over Oxonmoot, I'm happy to run one as well.
May 31
2022/5/31 18:29:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

I've booked for online attendance (and hope to run an informal zoom gathering), hope to see some of you there!

We could try and run two zoom gatherings at different times so that more people could attend over Oxonmoot, I'm happy to run one as well.

I'll be there as well, online. Happy to help in anyway I can.
May 31
2022/5/31 20:36:32 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I have just been informed that my talk suggestion has been accepted so I will probably have to be there
Jun 1
2022/6/1 12:40:44 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Registered but I'll miss part as in the 1st & 3rd, hope I'll be on the high plains those days.
Jump to Last