The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún
£8.19
TolkienGuide is an Amazon.co.uk affiliate
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 2
2021/9/2 16:44:50 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Ligandil wrote:

Did someone attend the Tolkien in translation panel?

The organizers contacted me to use the compilation of Ring verse translations I have in my blog, but unfortunately I couldn't attend .

That session is Friday afternoon (tomorrow) UK time. I plan on listening in if at all possible!
Sep 2
2021/9/2 16:59:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

Did someone attend the Tolkien in translation panel?

The organizers contacted me to use the compilation of Ring verse translations I have in my blog, but unfortunately I couldn't attend .

That session is Friday afternoon (tomorrow) UK time. I plan on listening in if at all possible!

Oops, yes, sorry. Lots of things going on right now.

That panel should be very fun!
Sep 3
2021/9/3 9:06:13 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
A collecting talk is coming up at Oxonmoot in about 30 minutes

In the USA of the counter-culture generation, the Barbara Remington artwork for the Ballantine edition of LOTR, together with the related poster art, arguably became the look of Tolkien for a generation.

In the UK the Pauline Baynes triptych became the celebrated artwork for the first omnibus paperback edition, published by Allen & Unwin in 1968.

The talk will explore the pleasures of collecting Tolkien paperbacks for their cover art, whilst celebrating the early designs for their novel and very different interpretations of the Middle Earth landscapes.

The talk will go on to deconstruct the contrasting artwork of Baynes and Remington. Both sets of cover art are triptychs, and imagine Tolkien’s world in a series of unforgettable vistas that arguably defined Tolkien for the counter-culture generation.

The talk will include a visual presentation of the related cover art and copies of the books and related ephemera will be on display in Oxford.

Chris Trwoga is a collector of Tolkien books and artwork. His particular interest is in the landscapes of Middle-earth both as a walker and past mountaineer, and as an author of four books relating to the interpretation of landscapes.
He is currently working on a book that combines stories with outdoor activities and exploration for young children.
Jump to Last