I wrote this article on the textual history of the U.S. mass market paperbacks (Ballantine/Del Rey) of The Hobbit, from the 1965 "lion cover" (A3f) to the most recent text (2020) which is a sub-text of the 5th edition 1995 reset (and not 2001), which I called 5α-2020.

I was able to collect some vital datas thanks to this survey, that some of you already took. By the way: if you haven't already, please consider taking it :S. There are some useful informations still missing, like for example the text on the 1966 24th and 25th impressions (which are important to knows in which printing they switched from A3gα-A to A3gα-B), and if there are more impressions like the 1966 49th and 50th that have A3gα-A rather than A3gα-B. (I found a 25th on ebay, but as it's sold together with LotR and shipped from the U.S. is not worth the expense). Moreover, informations on the 2001 paperbacks features (cover, spines, back covers) will be shared with tolkienbooks.us to update the relevant page. The ultimate goal of the survey is to gather data for every printing and to post an almost complete table of printings.

I have a Rankin/Bass illustrated Hobbit coming my way, so I'll be able to identify that text soon.

Please note that I haven't uploaded yet (most will be on this page) all the relevant loci I already identified, so more will be added in the future, and I don't consider the findings of loci on those texts completed (differently from what I did on other editions/texts); but I consider the work already done to be mature enough to allow a precise classification.

Please let me know what you think, suggestions or if you have something to report or add that you think is missing.
And take the survey ☺️.