Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Question about the cover color of The Hobbit (2004) by HarperCollins

13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 3:14:52 AM UTC

As MyTolkienBooks.com argued, the Hobbit, published by Harper Collins in 2004, has two cover editions. The common one is greenish, and it was printed later in Hong Kong and mainland China. A relatively rare edition is bluish and is said to be the first printed in England. The edition number and content of the two books are the same, the only difference is the printing place and the color of the cover. Does any one know more information about this? Any where I can buy a blue cover one? Thank you!

408088677136284385.jpg132730064370659459.jpg
13 Jan, 2023 (edited)
2023-1-13 4:07:30 AM UTC
Both are mentioned on Tolkienbooks.net although it states that the slightly darker version was printed by L.E.G.O SpA (which is in Italy, not England).

https://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=219

My personal copy is printed in Italy.

It seems likely that when the "second" impression was ordered (from Printing Express), the publisher forgot to change the number line in the digital file they sent.

As for how to acquire a copy - you'll have to ask around! Ask for a photo of the copyright page (verso of the title page) and look at the print location and the ISBN and the impression.
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 4:17:51 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Both are mentioned on Tolkienbooks.net although it states that the slightly darker version was printed by L.E.G.O SpA (which is in Italy, not England).

https://tolkienbooks.net/php/details2.php?id=219

My personal copy is printed in Italy.

It seems likely that when the "second" impression was ordered (from Printing Express), the publisher forgot to change the number line in the digital file they sent.

Can confirm this. My personal copy is also a 1st print from L.E.G.O SpA and is a much darker green than the couple of reprints from RR Donnelley (China) that I once had and have since sold off. The reprints are a much lighter shade of green than the 1st print is when stood right next to each other.

These 1st prints come up for sale once or twice a year on average, you just have to keep your eyes open.
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 7:19:02 AM UTC
Be carefull on the Deluxe Hobbit, as Rotolito reset the printing history very recently. (The Hobbit reprint is no longer printed in China for the current print run, but by Rotolito Italy).
-> So the 'new' reprint claims to be a first printing '2004', but that's not true. The colour seems also darker than the reprint and closer from the 1st LEGO printing. It also appears the spine's paper is not textured as the previous printings were.
Images seen on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienbooks/ ... s_of_the_deluxe_slipcase/
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 7:32:26 AM UTC

Emilien wrote:

Be carefull on the Deluxe Hobbit, as Rotolito reset the printing history very recently. (The Hobbit reprint is no longer printed in China for the current print run, but by Rotolito Italy).
-> So the 'new' reprint claims to be a first printing '2004', but that's not true. The colour seems also darker than the reprint and closer from the 1st LEGO printing. It also appears the spine's paper is not textured as the previous printings were.
Images seen on reddit.

Where does one even get started collecting these "deluxe" editions? What is so deluxe about them anyway other than name? It seems they have terrible print quality on thin paper, poor quality control except for the 1st prints which now command huge prices after only a few years.

I haven't begun collecting them. Not sure if I will or not.
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 7:44:23 AM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

Emilien wrote:

Images seen on reddit.

Where does one even get started collecting these "deluxe" editions? What is so deluxe about them anyway other than name? It seems they have terrible print quality on thin paper, poor quality control except for the 1st prints which now command huge prices after only a few years.

I think Harper Collins' Deluxe series hardcover works of Tolkien are still in circulation (you can easily buy them in Chinese online stores and the price is controlled at 40 to 100 pounds), and it is hard to say that they will be scarce in the short term. But I have to admit that I really like the cover design of this series.
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 7:46:37 AM UTC

Ezio Ma wrote:

Dagoth wrote:

Emilien wrote:

Images seen on reddit.

I think Harper Collins' Deluxe series hardcover works of Tolkien are still in circulation (you can easily buy them in Chinese online stores and the price is controlled at 40 to 100 pounds), and it is hard to say that they will be scarce in the short term. But I have to admit that I really like the cover design of this series.

Well, my only real knowledge of them is seeing people complain about quality issues, misprints and other things around the web

I wouldn't mind owning the original 1970s deluxe editions though. That's certainly on the list.
13 Jan, 2023 (edited)
2023-1-13 10:40:37 AM UTC
This is my HK 1st on the left,Italian 11th on the right.

5478_63c134ca35936.jpg 4000X3000 px
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 10:45:17 AM UTC

wheresrob wrote:

Oops I didn't realise I did some funny text shortcut there..
HK 1st on the left,Italian 11th on the right.
Wow dear wherrsrob, this help me a lot. Could you upload a photo of the front of the two books? This way I can better contrast the colors... Thank you so much!
13 Jan, 2023
2023-1-13 10:45:41 AM UTC
I've found most 1st printings differ slightly in feel and colour. Eg perilous and unfinished. (Sigurd variation is UK vs US)

5478_63c136454482e.jpg 4000X3000 px
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us