Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 January
2024-1-18 10:11:31 PM UTC
Source is random anonymous person on 4chan, so bring your truck of salt.
18 January
2024-1-18 10:15:45 PM UTC

DMRoberts wrote:

Source is random anonymous person on 4chan, so bring your truck of salt.

Given the fact Prime Video bled quite mightily just to get the rights to what they are doing right now...

... how much would they have to pay for the rights to The Silmarillion?
18 January
2024-1-18 11:21:38 PM UTC
I believe the nugget of truth, if there is one, is that they might have permission to certain elements. I do not believe for a second they got "the rights to The Silmarillion". The Estate giving permission for the precise way in which Celebrimbor meets his end? I could see that. Similarly with certain really crucial elements from the Akallabêth, or names, that aren't in Appendix A/B. But not carte blanche.

A couple of items here (the least ridiculous ones) were already leaked. Some are wild extrapolations on what is already known (and what I know of Justin, who wrote the article, he loves some of these ideas because he's keen for a really flexible, free-flowing character-driven adaptation). Some of them seem outright incompatible with what little I know about the showrunners from interviews, or other pieces of information we know. I can imagine a troll mixing a solid rumour with stuff that's intended to get people worked up, and they are getting free publicity from two of the biggest internet-based Tolkien platforms. No doubt people who make their living from YouTube-induced outrage will also have a heyday using this, claiming it's true, and then move on when it becomes clear it's not.
18 January
2024-1-18 11:58:21 PM UTC
I like Cliff's analysis better than Justin's initial report - https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/ ... -2-of-the-rings-of-power/

I agree that it seems very unlikely that Amazon got wide rights to "The Silmarillion" (let alone The Silmarillion).
19 January
2024-1-19 12:28:24 AM UTC
There are circles in which it is "correct" to be critical of things in LotR simply because they are perceived as being Catholic? I would like some sense of what those circles are, so as to avoid them, although I'm not Roman Catholic. (And of course I have no intention of encouraging religious disputes here. This is a request for information, to which my response is simply "Thank you" in advance.)
19 January
2024-1-19 12:40:32 AM UTC

Dale Nelson wrote:

There are circles in which it is "correct" to be critical of things in LotR simply because they are perceived as being Catholic? I would like some sense of what those circles are, so as to avoid them, although I'm not Roman Catholic. (And of course I have no intention of encouraging religious disputes here. This is a request for information, to which my response is simply "Thank you" in advance.)

Apologies if I have missed something Dale, but what is the context here? I don't believe any of the posts relate to Catholocism or Catholics, or mention religion at all.
19 January
2024-1-19 12:56:24 AM UTC
As is the reality with a huge T.V. production, there are further moves to be made, pickups to shoot, tons of post production and editing yet to complete. However, these Spy Reports may or MAY NOT be reliable but we have already known (through our own secret channels) about 40% of this stuff before the big leak on January 15, 2024. With enough of this verified we are at least eager to throw the doors wide open and have some robust discussion. Time for Ringer fans everywhere to discuss, make hay, extrapolate, and poke with a stick.

Translation: We just connected a bunch of stuff that may or may not be true…now we encourage y’all to do the same. Oh OR.net 🫤
19 January
2024-1-19 12:56:27 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

I like Cliff's analysis better than Justin's initial report - https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/ ... -2-of-the-rings-of-power/

I agree that it seems very unlikely that Amazon got wide rights to "The Silmarillion" (let alone The Silmarillion).

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure I agree with Cliff's take, but he certainly does at least do a smidgen of analysis amongst the slightly bizarre wording that seems to take the claims at legit, despite his surrounding caveats. It's hard to distinguish in what he writes between corroborated rumours and things that are much less solid (and to my mind, much less likely).

Also, until we see the execution in the final edit, it's hard to know how individual story elements fit together. But I agree that I would very much prefer to not see some of these things, in the ways I'm imagining them.

I personally prefer Olsen and Parke's approach towards discussing adaptations, it helps keep my blood pressure down
19 January
2024-1-19 12:19:59 PM UTC
According to Tolkien's 1969 contract, TV rights of Silmarillion can only be sold to Middle-earth Enterprise.
19 January
2024-1-19 4:37:00 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Dale Nelson wrote:

Apologies if I have missed something Dale, but what is the context here? I don't believe any of the posts relate to Catholocism or Catholics, or mention religion at all.

Northman's post from 11/23.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us