Ralph Bakshi Movie - The Lord of the Rings (1978)
- Theatrical release in 1978.
- Directed by Ralph Bakshi
- Released by United Artists
- 132 minutes runtime
- Rotoscoped animation style (Bakshi shot the whole movie with live actors in costume, then the animation group took each frame of film and hand drew a matching frame for the final film. This technique produces a more lifelike and fluid animation style. Not a common animations style, and has strong proponents as well as opponents.)
- "Part 1" was dropped from the title in most promotional material, as United Artists did not want to imply backing for a second film.
- Covers essentially half of The Lord of the Rings, ending abruptly after the Battle of Helm's Deep approximately half way through The Two Towers.
Books and Magazines
- Knickerbocker Action Figures
- War of the Ring Board Game (SPI)