Auction date: 13th March 2008
156. Tolkien (J.R.R.)
Autograph Letter signed to Ingrid Pridgeon, 2pp. & envelope, 8vo, Oxford address crossed out and typed c/o Messrs Geo. Allen and Unwin, postmarked Poole, August 1968, apologising for not having replied more fully, “I am having rather a bad time. I have left Oxford, and in the middle of the move I fell downstairs and damaged my right leg so badly that it is in plaster from toe to hip, and I am on crutches” and and a reference to The Lord of the Rings
, “I notice Spire Hollin: very Shire-like. Hollin is northern form of holly: and in Book I of The L.R: I lived for a while in Leeds in a Hollin Lane, fold.
est. £400 – £600
Sold for £1300
155. Tolkien (J.R.R.) The Lord of the Rings
, 3 vol., comprising The Fellowship of the Ring
, 14th impression, signed by the author on front free endpaper (slightly smudged at one letter), jacket split down upper joint and torn with loss, small tape mark, 1965; The Two Towers
, 11th impression , 1965; The Return of the King
, 11th impression, 1965, first editions , maps, ink name on front free endpapers, original cloth, dust-jackets, corners rubbed, small tears to spine ends, light surface soiling, 8vo .
est. £700 – £900
Sold for £2200
154. Tolkien (J.R.R.) and C.S. Lewis.- Wrenn (C.L., editor ) Beowulf: With the Finnesburg Fragment
, first edition, Autograph Letter signed from Tolkien, 2 Autograph Letters signed & a postcard signed from Lewis, Autograph Letter signed from Christopher Tolkien, Typed Letter signed by Wrenn and a note and draft letter by Robert Burchfield loosely inserted, postcard and newspaper cutting taped down on front free endpaper, original cloth, corners bumped, gilt spine slightly dulled, 8vo, 1953; and another, Wallenberg’s Kentish Place-Names, covers detached, Uppsala, 1931, 8vo (2)
1) Autograph Letter from Tolkien to R.W. Burchfield, apologising for not having returned this copy of Wallenberg’s Kentish Place-Names.
2) 2 Autograph Letters from Lewis to R.W. Burchfield, concerning joining and receiving publications from the Early English Texts Society.
3) Postcard from Lewis to R.W. Burchfield, in Anglo-Saxon and referring to C.T. Onions and mentioning Beowulf, laid down with tape on front pastedown (with a newspaper cutting from The Times newspaper, ?advertisemenent in Anglo-Saxon).
est. £1500 – £2000
153. Tolkien (J.R.R.).- Williams (R.A.) The Finn Episode in Beowulf: An Essay on Interpretation
, first edition, signed “Tolkien” on front free endpaper, slightly browned, original cloth, Cambridge University Press, 1924 § Tolkien (J.R.R.) Some Contributions to Middle-English Lexicography
, offprint, original printed wrappers, margins a little creased and slightly faded, 1925, 8vo (2)
est. £600 – £800
Sold for £900