Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

New Book Releases

New Book Releases

Apr 16, 2011 (edited)

Wayne and Christina have posted about The Hobbit 75th Anniversary and included a link to HarperCollins Online UK catalogue

Prices below converted from Canadian dollars to UK pounds

The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition
Boxed Set
J. R. R. Tolkien
J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit became an instant success when it was first published in 1937, and 75 years later Tolkien’s epic tale of elves, dwarves, trolls, goblins, myth, magic and adventure has lost none of its appeal. To commemorate this anniversary, HarperCollins is proud to present a facsimile edition of the first historic printing of The Hobbit. A must-have for any collector or fan!
November | FICTION/Fantasy/General | FIC009000 | £40 |
978-0-00-744083-2 | HB | 5 3/8 x 7 1/2 | 312 pp

The Pocket Hobbit
J. R. R. Tolkien
Bilbo Baggins enjoys a quiet and contented life, with no desire to travel far from the comforts of home; then one day the wizard Gandalf and a band of dwarves arrive unexpectedly and enlist his services – as a burglar. Bilbo’s life is never to be the same again. Perfect for gift giving, this is a beautiful hardcover pocket edition of The Hobbit, commemorating 75 years since the publication of this beloved book.
November | FICTION/Fantasy/General | FIC009000 | £11 |
978-0-00-744084-9 | HB | 4 3/8 x 6 | 304 pp

The History of the Hobbit
One Volume Edition
J. R. R. Tolkien and John Rateliff
For the first time in one volume, The History of the Hobbit presents the complete unpublished text of the original manuscript of J.R.R.Tolkien’s The Hobbit, accompanied by John Rateliff ’s lively and informative account of how the book came to be written and published. As well as recording the numerous changes made to the story both before and after publication, it examines – chapter-by-chapter – why those changes were made and how they reflect Tolkien’s ever-growing concept of Middle-earth.
August | LITERARY CRITICISM/Science Fiction & Fantasy |
LIT004260 | £35 | 978-0-00-744082-5 | HB | 5 5/8 x 8 3/4 | 960 pp

http://sacnoths.blogspot.com/2011/03/ ... obbit-second-edition.html

The Art of the Hobbit
J. R. R. Tolkien
To celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the publication of The Hobbit, a sumptuous full colour art book containing the complete collection of more than one hundred Hobbit sketches, drawings, paintings and maps by J.R.R. Tolkien.
December | FICTION/Fantasy/General | FIC009000 | £26 |
978-0-00-744081-8 | HB | 8 7/8 x 12 1/4 | 128 pp

http://wayneandchristina.wordpress.co ... 10/the-art-of-the-hobbit/

A Tolkien Tapestry
Pictures to accompany The Lord of the Rings
Cor Blok, Illustrated by Cor Blok
This brand new full-colour art book reveals in sumptuous detail over 100 paintings based on The Lord of the Rings by acclaimed Dutch artist, Cor Blok, many of which appear here for the first time. Fifty years ago Cor Blok was captivated by the trilogy and this spark of enthusiasm led to the creation of over 100 paintings.
October | FICTION/Fantasy/General | FIC009000 | £22 |
978-0-00-743798-6 | HB | 7 1/2 x 9 5/8 | 160 pp
Deluxe edition: £50 | 978-0-00-743799-3

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/press/991-A_Tolkien_Tapestry.php

Mr Bliss
J. R. R. Tolkien, Illustrated by J. R. R. Tolkien
A brand new edition of this long unavailable children’s story with newly scanned manuscript pages and redesigned text. Tolkien invented and illustrated the book of Mr Bliss’s adventures for his own children when they were very young. The story is reproduced here exactly as he created it – handwritten with lots of detailed and uproarious colour pictures.
November | FICTION/Fantasy/General | FIC009000 | £16 |
978-0-00-743619-4 | HB | 5 1/8 x 7 3/4 | 144 pp
Also available in unabridged audio: £21 | 978-0-00-744052-8

From correspondence with David Brawn at HarperCollins, I also have details of Tolkien eBooks for the next year.

I am pleased to say that the eBooks will be published this year, with the two volumes of The Book of Lost Tales published in the next couple of weeks, to be followed at two-monthly intervals by the three Early Silmarillion volumes, then the four Lord of the Rings volumes, and finally the two Later Silmarillion and the Peoples of Middle-earth volumes in September. The complementary work, The History of The Hobbit, will follow as an ebook in October. Carpenter’s A Biography, together with John Garth’s Tolkien and the Great War, will be published as eBooks at the end of April, to coincide with new paperback editions of both works. We are planning to publish eBooks of Letters and the Hammond and Scull books early next year.
Load previous replies
May 13, 2013

aranel_parmadil wrote:
I know my Tolkien quotes. Goodness only knows where the journalist got it from.

Sara

Sara, as some of this misinformation has come from your school's web site, the incorrect quote, incorrect spelling of Middle-earth and 'appalling' handwriting, you might want to ask them to remove or update the page.

http://rydalpenrhos.com/news/13/04/lifelong_passion_for_tolkien

As I think we have already stated it is a shame that these things seem to go out of control on the internet.
May 13, 2013
Hi Trotter. Yes, my school simply took the published article and put most of that on the website. I have asked them to amend it, but things obviously move slowly in our IT department. I will be reminding them!
May 19, 2013
School website article has now been suitably amended.
May 19, 2013
That's great news - well done!

- wellinghall
Jun 1, 2013
This is the cover of the new illustrated Hobbit with illustrations by Jemima Catlin, which I believe is scheduled to come out in September.

Jun 1, 2013
(edited)

Trotter wrote:
This is the cover of the new illustrated Hobbit with illustrations by Jemima Catlin, which I believe is scheduled to come out in September.

Doesn't appeal at all, to be honest. Be interesting to see if the interior illustrations are more engaging.
Jun 2, 2013
I've got to agree with Stu on this. Personally, I don't find it appealing. However, this design really looks like a conscious push by the publishers to draw young children to the book on the store shelves. It reminds me of many of the other modern children's covers out there. The classic Tolkien drawn Hobbit cover might not be "keeping up with the times" in the children's section at Barnes and Noble anymore. My kids are only 3 (obviously not the target audience), but I guarantee they would grab this one off the shelf before the classic cover.

Looks like a touch of Pauline Baynes influence too, now that I think of it. - Just a touch.
Jun 2, 2013
(edited)
I don't personally like the cover either & agree with Elwë in his assessment of its modern design, and perceived appeal. I've always thought it perilous to depict some of the characters in any great detail, particularly facially. Never liked illustrations depicting Hobbits.

That said, if you look at some of her other work (I don't think the calendar cover, for example, looks that appealing; but the black & white stuff she does are of a style I quite like [--see below]) you can see why they might have picked her to illustrate: nothing like Lee or Howe or Nasmith; female; British; etc. I like her depiction/focus on animals; so very apt for The Hobbit. I know not everyone is going to agree with this (& there are probably reasons why this hasn't happened), but I think a H illustrated by Ruth Lacon would have been good; her best work (in the bestiary style) is very, very good. I think it would have suited Tolkien's text well.

BH

125_51ab62e60f772.jpg 170X170 px

125_51ab6455d2b40.jpg 779X960 px
Jun 3, 2013

Khamûl wrote:
I don't personally like the cover either & agree with Elwë in his assessment of its modern design, and perceived appeal. I've always thought it perilous to depict some of the characters in any great detail, particularly facially. Never liked illustrations depicting Hobbits.

That said, if you look at some of her other work (I don't think the calendar cover, for example, looks that appealing; but the black & white stuff she does are of a style I quite like [--see below]) you can see why they might have picked her to illustrate: nothing like Lee or Howe or Nasmith; female; British; etc. I like her depiction/focus on animals; so very apt for The Hobbit. I know not everyone is going to agree with this (& there are probably reasons why this hasn't happened), but I think a H illustrated by Ruth Lacon would have been good; her best work (in the bestiary style) is very, very good. I think it would have suited Tolkien's text well.

BH

I suspect that some of the reason for the new illustrations is to reinforce that the Hobbit is still a children's book, after PJs absolutely horrendous movies that don't appear to be aimed at any specific type of audience. It's a bit like having your cake and eating it, mind. Make the money off the movie tie-ins and then probably try and distance from the movies for another prospective audience.

My problem with any of the illustrated editions that we have seen is really that the original Tolkien illustrations (black and white, colour and retrospectively coloured) are just so "right" for the work. Maybe it is because they were the ones I saw as a child, but I think it is more than that.

Now what I would love to see is an illustrated LoTR done in the style of the colour and B/W illustrations of the Hobbit. That would be worth my money!

If we saw any mainstream Tolkien book illustrated by Ruth Lacon, I would have to take Christopher Tolkien's stance (on the movies) and look away in despair...
Jun 3, 2013
Abrupt change of topic:

The Early English Text Society will reissue The English Text of the Ancrene Riwle (i.e., Ancrene Wisse) in paperback on 20 June 2013:

http://www.boydellandbrewer.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=14248

(I just bought a nice copy of the 1962 original edition, for 20 GBP! )
Load more
Jump to Last