Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

By Stu
Home away from home

Things bookdealers do, but shouldn't

20 Mar, 2016 (edited)
2016-3-20 9:46:26 PM UTC

This kind of behaviour exemplifies what I dislike about some (but not all) of the book dealers that frequent the Tolkien arena.

Re-using photos and listings because the books "usually vary only slightly in condition" is completely unacceptable, IMHO -- unless the listing clearly states that the pictures are stock photos.

The fact is that unless fine, no two books are the same, and the seller claims he doesn't do this with his "fine, rare" books.

The buyer needs to be able to determine for themselves whether the book meets their requirements, and if they can't trust that the picture in the advert is actually of the book they are buying, it is hard to see how they can do this.

Of course, one could cynically just read it as "You might have noticed our stock isn't turning over, here is a not very well thought out reason for that"....

228_56ef1cbb2e36e.jpg 1118X644 px
21 Mar, 2016
2016-3-21 5:06:37 AM UTC
Where is this posted? Doesn't look like an eBay listing.
21 Mar, 2016
2016-3-21 5:23:11 AM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
Where is this posted? Doesn't look like an eBay listing.

Seller's Facebook page. Book listings are on separate website (or via Abe).
22 Mar, 2016
2016-3-22 1:05:57 AM UTC
I also really dislike the "book scout" listings found on Amazon marketplace and ABE, where a (hard to find) title is listed as available for a ridiculous price - typically 10-20 times what other copies can be found at. The other copies come and go, so every now and then the high priced copy is the only one available. Some sucker occasionally buys that, and the scout just sits on the order for a week or two, hoping a cheap copy shows up again. If it does, they buy it and ship it off. If none show, they cancel the order and relist the book again a little later.
24 Mar, 2016 (edited)
2016-3-24 1:18:09 AM UTC
And it would have been nice if ebay user cv00030 had actually asked before downloading the not-really-high-enough-res for printing 5th impression from the facsimile jackets thread to use in his auction, especially as I eBay-mailed him about his last auction to let him know his 1st impression jacket is one of the dud ones (and I pointed him at the thread for the explanation).

Mind you, he didn't even have the courtesy to reply, but then clearly downloaded the 5th impression jacket from the thread and printed a copy. I've now removed the jackets from that thread (as they clearly weren't low-enough resolution to deter printing), so if anyone has an interest in the content of any of the first 15 jackets, please contact me directly (at some point, when I have time - I will load up even lower-res versions back onto the thread or watermark them so they are useless printed).

• Remember that a facsimile jacket doesn't increase the value of a book by a single cent or make up for it being in poor condition! All it does is protect it on your shelf and give a genuinely interested reader access to the front and rear flap info **

eBay Item #111945738352
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us