Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 Dec, 2016
2016-12-28 5:33:25 PM UTC
Hey all!

New to the site, so apologies if my way of 'replying' rather than starting a new topic isn't 'how it goes'.

This may be a bit of a lengthy post (I hope not, but it is my first one!)

Introductions:

My name here is "scarlet_sorcerer" which is based on an....inaccuracy in the 1978 animated film by Ralph Bakshi. My introduction to Tolkien was via The Fellowship of the Ring in 2001. I had heard of Tolkien and the books. I knew there was a story called "The Hobbit" which took place 60 years before the rest (The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King). I knew that, so I read The Hobbit (Harper Collins 'classic' hardback edition) before trekking to the cinema in 2001. However, since I never read any of the other books, I was surprised by everything.

I live in Canada, and depending on the items (or even publishers) we get the American editions of some stuff, or the UK for others. For Tolkien, we get the UK editions. by that I mean Chapters (our Waterstones, or Barnes and Noble, or what have you) carries those. In Christmas 2001, I got The Lord of the Rings single volume hardback as a gift. It features John Howe's painting of Gandalf. To this day I still have that! So, The Fellowship of the Ring movie turned me into a Tolkien fan; however I began "collecting" in 2007 when The Children of Hurin came out.

What follows are the books I own for the sole purpose of collecting. example, still in plastic wrap, etc. After I list those, I'll list the Tolkien items I actually use:

What initially attracted me to collecting them, is that I saw some of the prices the original editions (first edition, first print, first impression...) are going for. It's crazy to see how much some are worth, and how much they sell for. Also, look at other items over the years. Namely, Star Wars action figures still in the box, etc.

THE HOBBIT:
Collector’s Edition, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780395177112
Product info: “This deluxe collector's edition of Tolkien's modern classic is boxed and bound in green leatherette with gold and red foil rune stamping on the spine and cover. The text pages are printed in black with green accents. It includes five full page illustrations in full color and many more in two colors, in addition to Thror's map -- all prepared by the author.”

Still factory-sealed, never opened. Book essentially in brand new / mint condition

Why I got it: it's different than the UK deluxe edition of The Hobbit, in terms of design. It's also attractive, and has a timeless feel about it. I found this to be the nicest edition offered by Houghton Mifflin.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780618517657
Product info: “Fifty years and nearly one hundred million American readers later comes a beautiful new one-volume collector’s edition befitting the stature of this crown jewel of our list. The text is fully corrected under the supervision of Christopher Tolkien to meet the author’s exacting wishes and includes two large-format fold-out maps, a ribbon placemarker, gilded page edges, a color insert depicting Tolkien's own paintings of the Book of Mazarbul and exceptionally elegant and sturdy overall packaging housed within an attractive slipcase.”

Still factory-sealed, never opened. Book essentially in brand new / mint condition

Why I got it: of all the 'differences' between the US & UK deluxe editions, this is the one I cite the most often.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: READER’S COMPANION
Hardback, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780618642670

Never read, in very fine / near-mint condition. Stored on a bookshelf properly away from light. Any possible extremely minor dents or creases to the dustjacket would be from initial purchase (was bought and shipped online, as new not used) or during shipping / transportation.

Why I got it: to complement the edition of The Lord of the Rings 50th Anniversary deluxe edition. I fully intend to 'pair' the two.

THE SILMARILLION:
Hardback, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780618135042

Never read, in very fine / near-mint condition. Stored on a bookshelf properly away from light. Any possible extremely minor dents or creases to the dustjacket would be from initial purchase (was bought and shipped online, as new not used) or during shipping / transportation.

Why I got it: as I mentioned in another post (and will quickly do so again here) there aren't that many editions of The Silmarillion. I found this to be the nicest (non illustrated) edition, and only one in hardback offered by Houghton Mifflin.

UNFINISHED TALES:
Hardback, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780618154043

Why I got it: not to be lazy in this post, but really, the exact same reason as for The Silmarillion listed above.

THE CHILDREN OF HURIN:
Deluxe Edition, Harper Collins. ISBN: 9780007252237
Product info: “This deluxe collector's edition features the first edition text and eight full-colour plates, with an exclusive colour frontispiece illustration. The book is quarterbound with a special gold motif stamped on the front board and is presented in a matching slipcase.”

Why I got it: This one isn't by Houghton Mifflin, but by Harper Collins, intentionally. The reason for it, is that there are a few why I got this one: a) It could be the last new Middle-earth material published as a text, not counting deluxe, anniversary, or iullustrated editions in the future b) I didn't want to shell out the cash for the Super Deluxe Edition c) marketing wise, The Children of Hurin seemed to have been the biggest Tolkien event since The Silmarillion was published, so I wished to 'mark' the occasion with an extra special purchase.

THE LEGEND OF SIGURD AND GUDRUN:
Deluxe Edition, Houghton Mifflin. ISBN: 9780547296289
Product info: “"The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" is a previously unpublished work by J.R.R. Tolkien, written while Tolkien was Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford during the 1920s and '30s, before he wrote" The Hobbit" and" The Lord of the Rings." It makes available for the first time Tolkien's extensive retelling in English narrative verse of the epic Norse tales of Sigurd the Volsung and The Fall of the Niflungs.""It includes an introduction by J.R.R. Tolkien, drawn from one of his own lectures on Norse literature, with commentary and notes on the poems by Christopher Tolkien.”

Why I got it: there are a few reasons: a) Again, I did not wish to shell out the money for the Super variant. b) At the time, the one offered by Houghton Mifflin was more readily available, and cheaper, than the Harper Collins edition c) this is the last time (as of 2016) that Houghton Mifflin and Harper Collins produced an identical deluxe edition. Also, it is the final (as of now) deluxe or slipcased collector's / deluxe edition that Houghton Mifflin published the same day (or very close to it) of another version of the same book.

THE HOBBIT (illustrated edition):
Deluxe Edition, Harper Collins. ISBN: 9780007497911
Product info: This special slipcased edition is bound in red cloth with an exclusive wraparound dragon design in gold foil. The first new illustrated edition of The Hobbit for more than 15 years contains 150 brand new colour illustrations. Artist Jemima Catlin's charming and lively interpretation brings Tolkien's beloved characters to life in a way that will entice and entertain a new generation of readers.

Still factory sealed, never opened. Book essentially in brand new / mint condition

Why I got it: do I regret owning the other 'do not read' Hobbit, or my reading copy? No. This was published well after I had both. It seemed to be another slight publishing sensation. Houghton Mifflin did not do a deluxe edition (nor have they done a 'same time' release of a new book, or edition of one, since The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun. So I snagged this one up. The cost wasn't too high (if it were I would have gone for the standard hardback by either Houghton Mifflin or Harper Collins) plus I also managed to get a discount of sorts....and stock was running low. Also, as far as deluxe editions go by either publishing house, this is one of the finer ones.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS
60th Anniversary (illustrated) Edition, Harper Collins. ISBN: 9780007525546
Product info: This new edition includes all 50 of Alan Lee's beautiful watercolour paintings that have been newly scanned by the artist himself, together with his stunning frontispiece painting that appears in full, for the very first time, as a three-page foldout sheet. The text has been reset using the definitive 50th anniversary text and is printed on high-quality paper, and this is accompanied by Tolkien's own maps, which are printed in red & black as endpapers. The unjacketed book features illustrated boards and includes a silk ribbon marker, and is housed in a special transparent slipcase; together with Alan's beautiful paintings, this new presentation of this landmark work provides the reader with the ultimate edition with which to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its first publication.

The title is not factory-sealed issued, however there is a box provided by the publisher, which is plain cardboard. There is a label on the box featuring the Tolkien emblem, as well as the ISBN, and bar code. Box is in excellent condition. Upon reciving the item, it was removed from the provided box to check for exterior / noticeable damage to the book or slipcase. Both book and slipcase are in brand new / near-mint condition. The book has never been removed from the slipcase, and therefore, never been opened. Book was replaced back inside provided publisher box exactly how it came out. [please note that the slipcase is flimsy, and replacing the book back inside can be tricky. This was discovered and observed while examining a shelf-copy at a national bookstore. Reading up about this particular edition online, it appears that many, many copies of this have recieved some degree of damage due to postage; whether to the book, the slipcase, or the provided box. This copy has never been removed from the slipcase.]

Book in as new condition

Why I got it: Do I regret having my reading copy of The Lord of the Rings, or the 50th anniversary deluxe edition offered by Houghton Mifflin which is my other 'do not read' copy? No. Now, I'm not going to get every edition of The Lord of the Rings that ever was, or ever will be, but this one definitely appealed to me. First of all, I fully intend to pair this with my copy of The Hobbit illustrated by Jemima Catlin, as that book seems lonely....Also, it seems quite collectible: the slipcase (which is flimsy and seems quite easy to damage. This is based from handling and observations of a few copies I've seen in book stores. If you plan on getting a copy yourself, take extreme care with the slipcase), the fold-out artwork sheet at the front, the ribbon place-holder, the publisher-provided box (The Children of Hurin and The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun Super Deluxe editions?).... Also, it didn't cost me too much to actually get such a high-end publication, thanks to a store promotion; much like The Hobbit illustrated by Jemima Catlin.

That's the end of my "collecting" books.

I'll end here by briefly naming what I own and use:

- The Hobbit 70th hardback (Harper Collins)
- The Lord of the Rings 60th boxed set hardback (Harper Collins. features the Reader's Companion. Impressions are: 9 8 8 3 for the books, from Fellowship - Reader's)
- The Silmarillion (current Harper Collins hardback)
- Unfinished Tales (current Harper Collins hardback)
- The Children of Hurin (Harper Collins hardback)
- Tales From the Perilous Realm (Harper Collins hardback)
- The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun (Harper Collins hardback)
- The Fall of Arthur (Harper Collins hardback)
- Beowulf (Harper Collins hardback)
- The Story of Kullervo (Harper Collins hardback)
- The Annotated Hobbit (2003 Harper Collins edition)
- The Complete Guide to Middle-earth (illustrated by Ted Nasmith, hardback)
- The Tolkien Audio Collection CD (the newest edition - shows ring-and-eye symbol on it)
- The Art of the Hobbit (Harper Collins)
- The Art of The Lord of the Rings (Harper Collins)
- Tolkien: Artist & Illustrator (Harper Collins)
- Alan Lee Hobbit Poster Collection
- Alan Lee Lord of the Rings poster collection (1 and 2)
- Ted Nasmith Silmarillion poster collection
- John Howe Myth and Magic poster collection

....and that's everything that isn't film-related!
28 Dec, 2016
2016-12-28 10:14:24 PM UTC
Is Canterbury Classics not a real thing?

BH
3 Jan, 2017
2017-1-3 3:29:15 PM UTC
Those books are not considered as such, due to the controversy / incident regarding David day and The Tolkien Society. As such, they dis-credit and genuinely ignore or frown upon any publications by him. Thunder Bay Press / Canterbury Classics is the publishing house of which he's under.

There are some great alternatives:

Robert Foster's "Complete Guide to Middle-earth" (especially the hardback edition with Ted Nasmith's illustrations) is particulairly great.

For maps, "The Atlas of Middle-earth" by Karen wyn fonstad is pretty great as well. There's also "The Maps of Middle-earth" by Brian Sibley & John Howe.

I'm not too sure what else Day has published, but you can read more about him on tolkiengateway to get more scoop on the situation.
3 Jan, 2017
2017-1-3 7:15:43 PM UTC
There's no indication yet that the Canterbury Classics book will be another David Day release, but it is the same publishing family so it stands a good chance.

Here is what the publisher told me: "our editorial team is fleshing out plans for a Tolkien title, but no information is available for it yet."
3 Jan, 2017
2017-1-3 8:52:07 PM UTC
Ah ok, we'll have to wait and see then. Good chance it'll be a Day book, but that's speculation.

Speaking of speculation, this year "The Silmarillion" turns 40. Anyone think there'll be a new edition?
3 Jan, 2017
2017-1-3 10:52:27 PM UTC

scarlet_sorcerer wrote:
Ah ok, we'll have to wait and see then. Good chance it'll be a Day book, but that's speculation.

Speaking of speculation, this year "The Silmarillion" turns 40. Anyone think there'll be a new edition?

Probably. Any excuse, these days...
4 Jan, 2017
2017-1-4 3:07:55 AM UTC
Yeah, I sort of hear you there...[still new to the site so, apologies if the reply wasn't a typical one.]

While it's great to get new Tolkien stuff, it's slightly....irksome when some of the new stuff is fragmented but gets its own book [they could have easily done a "Unfinished Tales" type of compendium for the non-M-e stuff.], or if it's crazy thin. And if it's both, well.....overall I'd say Harper Collins is doing a pretty good job.

I just wish that whenever new editions of "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" came out, there would also be a matching "Silmarillion" and "Unfinished Tales". I know TH & TLotR are the 'big money makers" but still.....although I was incredibly joyful and relieved once I completed my UK hardback editions

I have fingers tightly crossed that someday, hopefully soon, they will do a "Fall of Gondolin" book in the style "The Children of Hurin" and "Beren and Luthien" [Christopher Tolkien editing, Alan Lee illustrating]; so that there can sort of be a 'trilogy' of the Great Tales, in that design & style.
4 Jan, 2017
2017-1-4 6:02:50 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

scarlet_sorcerer wrote:

A Super Deluxe version of The Sil to match CoH and S&G.
4 Jan, 2017
2017-1-4 6:24:34 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Stu wrote:

scarlet_sorcerer wrote:

A Super Deluxe version of The Sil to match CoH and S&G.

I'd most likely be interested in that. Not sure HC would necessarily want to go back to SD territory at the moment, though. I don't think there are enough buyers at the price point they would want to pitch it at.
16 Jan, 2017
2017-1-16 7:31:30 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: ddaryl-2012
(46)
Ended Jan 23, 2017
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us