Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Lydney Park copy on ABEBooks

30 Jan, 2017
2017-1-30 10:29:35 PM UTC

Not a bad price on a copy over at ABEbooks currently, if anyone is looking for this title.

Report on the Excavation of the Prehistoric, Roman, and Post-Roman Site in Lydney Park, Gloucestershire

viii + 137pp, 52 plates inc folding + 28 figs, card, deckle page edges, 4to spine creased with 4cm tear at the base, edges creased with numerous tears, light foxing on prelims & page edges Lydney Park Temple comprises a Roman temple and villa complex built within an earlier Iron Age hill fort. In the Fourth century the southern half of the Iron Age site was occupied by a Romano-British temple complex. The article 'The name Nodens' is by J.R.R.Tolkien at his most abstruse and scholarly and is one of Tolkiens earlier publications. Bookseller Inventory # 59143

£ 100.00 (approx $130 USD) plus shipping

1_588fbe49dae2a.jpg 480X640 px
31 Jan, 2017
2017-1-31 7:58:07 AM UTC
yes, not a bad price. But - the description says, 'deckle edges' - they're yapp edges, aren't they?
31 Jan, 2017
2017-1-31 2:38:59 PM UTC
I went to check my copy, and realized that mine is fully trimmed so I can't answer definitively! I am pretty sure the deckle is correct though.

deckle edges - The natural rough and uneven edges of book pages when they have not been trimmed flush. The binding of handmade paper can also produce this decorative effect. Also known as uncut.

yapp - A style of binding where the edges of the paper extend beyond all three edges of a book. It is named after a London bookseller who invented it around 1860, and is mostly used for books of devotion and verse.

(above quoted from http://www.alibris.com/glossary/glossary-books )
5 Feb, 2017
2017-2-5 5:42:53 PM UTC
When it rains it pours... if you missed on that other copy, another has just shown up.

£ 110 plus shipping

Lydney Park on Abebooks
5 Feb, 2017
2017-2-5 10:15:35 PM UTC
Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Whenever something uncommon comes up for sale, maybe something that hasn't been seen offered for a year or more... inevitably another comes up for sale shortly after. I've seen this happen more times than I can count.
6 Feb, 2017
2017-2-6 7:28:36 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this pattern? Whenever something uncommon comes up for sale, maybe something that hasn't been seen offered for a year or more... inevitably another comes up for sale shortly after. I've seen this happen more times than I can count.

Not sure if it just an illusion as I tend to be more aware of the second copy because I've been drawn to the first one. I suspect when a book sells for a good price (for seller), that does draw out other sellers.

With this title, it doesn't seem to be in short supply, it is just that some of the copies are overpriced, given that it is probably of very limited interest, so the elevated price is only going to be driven by the Tolkien connection. £100 is probably fair value, realistically.
6 Feb, 2017
2017-2-6 11:34:51 AM UTC
Uruloke wrote -

"deckle edges - The natural rough and uneven edges of book pages when they have not been trimmed flush. The binding of handmade paper can also produce this decorative effect. Also known as uncut.

yapp - A style of binding where the edges of the paper extend beyond all three edges of a book. It is named after a London bookseller who invented it around 1860, and is mostly used for books of devotion and verse"

Oh, okay - I got it wrong.

6 Feb, 2017
2017-2-6 7:07:56 PM UTC
Stu and Berelach - I kind of agree with both of you. When a rare or uncommon item shows up and sells for a good price, that can definitely nudge other sellers to dig out their own copy and list as well. I don't think that happened here in this particular case though - I agree with Stu that we are probably just sensitized to the title having just sold a copy so recently. I do see these on the market every now and then, but definitely most copies are priced higher than I think they will find buyers at. Seeing two copies around the reasonable £100 price point is definitely unusual.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us