Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Jan, 2018
2018-1-11 5:53:00 PM UTC
Aelfwine, I agree, your inscription is a good thing in my mind. I also like the letter in provenance that you have. I do think you have correctly identified the recipient of the signed book. I like Iain's note of his astonishment, especially. That's a hard way to sign a book!

I also noted the date on your inscription, and also found it poignant.
11 Jan, 2018
2018-1-11 6:51:29 PM UTC
I'd say that for Tolkien, the inscription adds value and confidence in the item. For any less commonly faked author, I'd probably think the opposite.
11 Jan, 2018 (edited)
2018-1-11 6:56:19 PM UTC
I'm happy to report that I've had email contact with Rev. Iain Torrance, and he confirms that this was indeed his copy.

He also tells me: "JRRT came to receive an honorary degree at the University of Edinburgh and his host (the professor of English) brought him to tea with my parents."

That would be the occasion of Tolkien's receiving an honorary Doctor of Letters degree at the University of Edinburgh on July 12, 1973 — i.e., just three days before this book was inscribed — and the host would have been Angus McIntosh.

So, the book was signed in conjunction with Tolkien's extended travels with Priscilla for and in conjunction with this occasion, as he alludes to in a letter that can be seen here.

(Isn't the Internet wonderful?)
11 Jan, 2018
2018-1-11 8:54:02 PM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:
I'm happy to report that I've had email contact with Rev. Iain Torrance, and he confirms that this was indeed his copy.

He also tells me: "JRRT came to receive an honorary degree at the University of Edinburgh and his host (the professor of English) brought him to tea with my parents."

That would be the occasion of Tolkien's receiving an honorary Doctor of Letters degree at the University of Edinburgh on July 12, 1973 — i.e., just three days before this book was inscribed — and the host would have been Angus McIntosh.

So, the book was signed in conjunction with Tolkien's extended travels with Priscilla for and in conjunction with this occasion, as he alludes to in a letter that can be seen here.

(Isn't the Internet wonderful?)

This is the kind of thing that makes - for me - an inscribed Tolkien item so much more interesting than a purely signed item. I still wouldn't pay £5000 to own one, as I don't feel the need, but it is enjoyable to read about, so thanks for sharing.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us