Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Jan, 2018
2018-1-5 7:50:40 PM UTC
Yeah, my point in B&L was with regards to the content, not the quality of LEGOs printing/binding.

With regards to the Companion & Guide, certainly in my case the glue issue was really not a big deal. The small bit of paper adhered to the edges of the jacket peeled off with a thumbnail. I guess it is a toss-up as to whether a reprint wlll overall be better/worse. Given HarperCollins' ability to turn attractive books into square blocks with dust jackets (have a look at a later impression 60th LOTR/ Readers Companion set...), if you want this title, it might be better just to buy it.
14 Jan, 2018 (edited)
2018-1-14 9:16:40 PM UTC
I decided to take the risk in the interests of scientific enquiry - The Deluxe History of Middle-Earth has been reprinted by LEGO, Spa.

- The box is now much thicker than the original flimsy clays box (the same as the other slipcases -- although the sides still don't have a curve).
- the books in slipcase are now the same height as the other deluxe editions.
- It is still marked as "1" on the number line.
- The paper insert is slightly less yellow and is provided inside the shrink, rather than stuck to the outside with another copy in the box.
- It is now shipped in a cardboard outer wrap.
- The books themselves are slightly thicker than the clays deluxe 1st print, with the overall thickness of this set being identical to the Clays standard edition(so the books must be a fraction thinner than standard, given the thicker slipcase walls).
- The spines are now more curved, and you can't see the brown cardboard lining if you look straight down at the book.
- The spines on these copies don't have wrinkles at the bottom edges; The clays copies I had did.
- The paper on the clays copies was - from memory - slightly better.
- The front and rear boards on the LEGO copies are thicker

I'm not sure it is necessarily worth buying (as stylistically the match remains poor), but is much better than the Clays-printed horror we got a couple of months back.

228_5a5bc92953b68.jpg 2788X1096 px
15 Jan, 2018
2018-1-15 1:28:17 AM UTC
Hi Stu,
Can I ask where did you buy this one? The LEGO reprint seems much better.
15 Jan, 2018
2018-1-15 2:14:58 AM UTC
I ordered from Book Depository. It was about £135 including shipping to NZ. I'd guess that everyone who has it in stock now has the LEGO version (possibly with the exception of Tolkien.co.uk, I suppose given they sell for RRP and probably don't sell many).

This reprint is nothing special (the design itself hasn't changed), but it isn't awful, and my [returned] copy of the Clays first print really was an abomination. I think at the price I paid, it is OK (and I'll keep it -- if it had been rubbish, I'd have just sold it on here in NZ and taken a bit of a hit). I don't think I'd pay much more than I paid for it, mind.

It would be interesting to know how many copies of this second 1st impression (!) were printed.
16 Jan, 2018
2018-1-16 8:39:56 AM UTC
I've just added some pictures to help illustrate the difference between the Clays print and the LEGO. The only pictures I have of the Clays are the ones I took to give to Amazon when I requested the return, unfortunately, but you can clearly see just how thin the box and the book boards are on the Clays printing. Each of the Clays volumes also had creases to the bottoms of the boards, which didn't appear to be transit damage (just crappy assembly), and one of the books had the cover starting to split at the spine, which may have been from a knock (unclear). I honestly believe the Clays sets should just have been pulped.

The LEGO set is still fairly dull, but at least it is reasonably well put together.

228_5a5db9b652366.jpg 2224X1632 px

228_5a5db9c395fe3.jpg 640X480 px

228_5a5dba281ba4d.jpg 1173X1319 px

228_5a5dba33f0839.jpg 640X480 px

228_5a5dba4e18d61.jpg 3264X2448 px

228_5a5dbb44220fd.jpg 480X640 px
16 Jan, 2018
2018-1-16 11:06:48 AM UTC
This is like a joke. First they sell the "bad" edition, now they release the "improved" one, like they are that cheap...
16 Jan, 2018
2018-1-16 5:01:05 PM UTC
Has anyone bought a copy of "Flora of Middle-Earth: Plants of J.R.R. Tolkien's Legendarium"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flora-Middle- ... collsguid-21&linkCode=osi

Is it well researched?
16 Jan, 2018
2018-1-16 11:16:53 PM UTC
I have bought it, based on recommendations from others I trust on Facebook conversations. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, though.

Here is John David Cofield's review for example: http://amzn.to/2rg2cKv
17 Jan, 2018
2018-1-17 2:08:47 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
I have bought it, based on recommendations from others I trust on Facebook conversations. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, though.

Here is John David Cofield's review for example: http://amzn.to/2rg2cKv

Given that I am now middle-aged, and therefore enjoy gardening (despite previously having no interest), I must admit that I am tempted by this title, even if its existence seems like a bit of a stretch.
17 Jan, 2018
2018-1-17 1:46:47 PM UTC
It is a very decent book and well researched. Walter Judd has a professional grasp of horticulture and is a pleasure to read. His sons illustrations are simple and informative.

If one has an interest in flora and Tolkien then I would suggest it is a great read. It is in no way essential but as my profession is horticulture based I was into this book and looked forward to its release.

It is well researched and well referenced to the major works of Tolkien research and to the work of Tolkien itself (naturally) while still needing at times to 'reach' but not a David Day 'reach', more educated and thoughtful in its approach. When it has to make an assumption it is done with respect.

Overall I think this is a wonderful book, full of facts and it does I feel show how much Tolkien cared for the world he was building.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us