Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Hobbit facsimile gift set

Hobbit facsimile gift set

Jan 23, 2018 (edited)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Facsim ... it+Facsimile+Gift+Edition

This sumptuous gift set includes a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, the only edition where one can now read the original version of the story before Tolkien re-edited it to become the one enjoyed by readers since 1951.

The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937, with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design, nearly a dozen black & white illustrations and two black & red maps by the author himself, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted shortly afterwards. History was already being made.

The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text – particularly those to chapter 5, when Tolkien decided in 1947 to revise the text to bring it better into accord with events as they were developing in its ‘sequel’, The Lord of the Rings – mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult.

This special commemorative gift set includes the first edition, so that readers of all ages – not just ‘children between the ages of 5 and 9’, as Rayner Unwin famously declared in his report on the original submission – can finally enjoy Tolkien’s story as it originally appeared. It also includes an exclusive CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit, a special copy of Thror’s map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light, and an accompanying booklet that relates the history of The Hobbit, and includes connected writings by JRR Tolkien.

10_5a67aebaa8ea8.jpg 1500X2502 px
Load previous replies
Jan 26, 2018
Someone else asked, so I checked with HC - the Hobbit book in the new gift set will not come with a slipcase. So if you want the slipcase, the previous facsimile edition is the way to go.

I'm told the new gift set box will have some interesting design features, so I'm looking forward to learning more there.
Jan 27, 2018
Amazon Germany have this morning brought the presale price down to €41.99.
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks for the info! Still £50 on amazon.co.uk, but I do expect it to drop between now and release.
Jan 27, 2018
€36.84 on Amazon Spain

https://www.amazon.es/dp/0008259542
Jan 27, 2018
(edited)
The big problem with Amazon is that it is pretty much guaranteed to not be packaged properly. Hopefully the BD price will be good at some point (generally it has been the best for for most things recently), as the packaging has been excellent for all the boxed sets I have purchased (no returns required).

NB. This hasn't held true for individual books. Boxed sets seem to trigger a more sensible packing process, though.
Jan 27, 2018
I can't disagree with you Stu, my boxed sets from Amazon.co.uk have been horribly packed for my last few orders.

The first copy of the three volume Companion and Guide sent to me was so badly damaged that Amazon paid for me to return it to them and sent me a free replacement - the return shipping was more than the cost of the set! Crazy.
Jan 30, 2018
I am going to get this one from Speedyhen as in this case, I am in no hurry on delivery, they are currently at £32.83 plus free UK delivery, but I can't order as yet.

https://www.speedyhen.com/Product/J-R- ... ile-Gift-Edition/21650088
Jul 19, 2018
Has anyone gotten it? Any report?
Jul 19, 2018
It is slightly better than the first attempt, but the colours seem to still be a bugbear. The Jacket is too dark and the boards are too bright. The top-stain is less lurid than the last attempt, which is a good thing. Overall the book is undoubtedly an improvement, albeit a minor one.

Worth buying for the CD, but probably not for the book itself if you already have a facsimile first edition. It seems to be heavily discounted, so at least it is fairly inexpensive.

The Lenticular print on the cover is not only a bad technical implementation of a lenticular print, it makes the box look bad. Without the print, the box would be quite nice. I never will understand publishers.
Load more
Jump to Last