Up for auction in a few weeks are two interesting items from Bonhams - a typed letter signed (TLS) not appearing in Carpenter's Letters, and a first impression of The Hobbit in dustjacket. Though the letter and book both have condition issues, they have quite a bit of appeal and should have no trouble meeting their respective estimates. Good luck to all interested bidders!

BOOKS, MAPS, MANUSCRIPTS AND HISTORICAL PHOTOGRAPHS
London, Knightsbridge
18 Jun 2014 13:00 BST
Auction 21763

Lot 277
TOLKIEN (J.R.R.)
Autograph and partly typed letter signed ("J.R.R. Tolkien"), Sandfield Road, Headington, 17 January 1964
Autograph and partly typed letter signed ("J.R.R. Tolkien"), to Mrs A. Mountfield of Eltham Green School, thanking her for sending the letter by one of her class children which gave him great pleasure ("...The Hobbit seems to have gone down well at school; I have had several letters telling me of class activities arising from interest in it. Not all as well penned as this...") but adding that he hopes "it will turn out not to be the only gift to you from Oxford"; adding in his own hand: "for you to hand on" and observing: "All teaching is exhausting, and depressing and one is seldom comforted by knowing when one has had some effect. I wish I could now tell some of mine (of long ago) how I remember them and things they said, though I was (only, as it appeared) looking out of the window or giggling at my neighbour", 1 page, printed heading, small cup-rim stain at foot, 4to, Sandfield Road, Headington, 17 January 1964
Estimate: £1,500 - 2,000 (US$ 2,500 - 3,300)

Sold for £2,500 inc. premium

Bonhams Sale 21763 Lot 278 - Hobbit 1st impression
Lot 278
TOLKIEN (J.R.R.)
The Hobbit or There and Back Again, FIRST EDITION, FIRST IMPRESSION, George Allen & Unwin, [1937]
frontispiece and 9 plates or illustrations (all but one full-page), map endpapers in red and black by the author, light pencil inscription (near erased) on front free endpaper, publisher's green cloth, lettered and decorated in dark blue, first issue dust-jacket after a design by Tolkien, with 'Dodgeson' on rear flap corrected in ink, unclipped with price "7s. 6d." (loss at extremities of spine, 1cm at top, 3cm at bottom) and corners, short tear (with no loss) affecting one line of upper flap, generally fresh colour [Hammond A3(a)], 8vo
Estimate: £10,000 - 15,000 (US$ 17,000 - 25,000)

Sold for £18,750 inc. premium