Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Minerva - July/August 2018 Issue - Tom Shippey article

26 Sep, 2018
2018-9-26 11:05:17 PM UTC

Minerva-August-2018.jpg

Minerva Magazine - The International Review of Ancient Art & Archaeology has an article in the July/August 2018 issue on Tolkien, written by Tom Shippey. The article is called "Lord of the runes", pp. 40-45, and it discussed is some detail the Anglo-Saxon roots of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It is a high quality glossy publication, so the reproductions of items from the Bodleian exhibit are quite good.

Illustrations present are:
1. Photograph of Tolkien on Oxford's Botanic Gardens from 9 August 1973
2. The final dustjacket design for The Hobbit (across the gutter, so somewhat obscured in part by the magazine binding)
3. Conversation with Smaug, full page reproduction
4. Typescript page of his prose translation of Beowulf with corrections
5. [Beowulf sample from a medieval manuscript, not by Tolkien]
6. Bilbo comes to the Huts of the Raft-elves, three-quarter page reproduction
7. Parma mittarion design (small, one sixth page reproduction)
8. Photo of Tolkien aged 19, shortly before leaving King Edward School

While in honor of (and mentioning) the Bodleian exhibition, the article by Shippey itself does not discuss it at all, it is solely covering the Anglo-Saxon roots of Tolkien's stories - in line with the focus of Minerva on ancient arts and archaeology.

The website at https://www.minervamagazine.co.uk/ lists booksellers and newsstands that carry the magazine worldwide.

Here in the USA each issue is priced at $10.50 at newsstands, if you can find it. The September issue is coming out now so it may be harder to locate.
27 Sep, 2018
2018-9-27 2:59:48 AM UTC
One of my Twitter followers pointed out that you can download a digital copy of this magazine issue from https://www.magzter.com/GB/Aurora-Publications/Minerva/Art/286673

It is either $3.99 for a single issue, or free if you sign up for their gold service (seven day trial is free, monthly fee after that). I didn't look too closely into the terms and conditions, but the company itself is legitimate.
27 Sep, 2018
2018-9-27 3:53:00 AM UTC
Thank you, that's great!!
28 Sep, 2018
2018-9-28 2:16:19 PM UTC
Wonderful digital thingy, but would like to find the paper.
I forked out for the Illustration journal. It may have been worth it for the print quality and both articles are part of the Tolkien Maker file.
Bruce

101_5bae378bb1134.png 300X425 px
28 Sep, 2018
2018-9-28 2:55:13 PM UTC
I’ll be doing a small write up on the Illustration issue soon - thanks for the reminder!

I have an extra copy of Minerva if you need one. Also available from their website as a back issue for £5 plus shipping. Last I checked my local newsstand had a copy or two left as well.
29 Sep, 2018
2018-9-29 5:13:38 AM UTC
Saturday may turn up local one. thank you.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us