Tolkien Collector's Guide
The Great Tales boxed set

The Great Tales boxed set

Jun 13

Amazon (USA) has just put this up for pre-ordering - the three hardcover editions of The Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, and The Fall of Gondolin in a boxed set presentation.

$75.00

https://amzn.to/2JH8xUg

great tales.jpg
Load previous replies
Jul 25
Having been traveling for business and pleasure last week, I wasn't able to follow closely this thread at the time. I do want to drop a small note here in response to the following:

Stu wrote:

I didn't actually say they should, did I (or that there was any harm)? You seem to like to reply to things that were never stated (on this and other threads). This isn't the HarperCollins or Tolkien-Estate fan club, so please don't expect it to be one.

I think the comments for and against a slipcased set in this thread are valid views for collectors to have, but I would prefer we not shift comments on those views to the people holding those views. I believe in the "other thread" that was just a misunderstanding caused by quirks of the site presentation of replies.
Jul 25

Urulöké wrote:
Having been traveling for business and pleasure last week, I wasn't able to follow closely this thread at the time. I do want to drop a small note here in response to the following:

Stu wrote:

I didn't actually say they should, did I (or that there was any harm)? You seem to like to reply to things that were never stated (on this and other threads). This isn't the HarperCollins or Tolkien-Estate fan club, so please don't expect it to be one.

I think the comments for and against a slipcased set in this thread are valid views for collectors to have, but I would prefer we not shift comments on those views to the people holding those views. I believe in the "other thread" that was just a misunderstanding caused by quirks of the site presentation of replies.

It's a fair cop, guv'nor
Sep 7
Did anyone else notice the CoH art has the reddish cast of the paperbacks?
Sep 14
Based on the 3 HMH hardbacks it will be a thinner box than the mockup.
Bruce
Oct 15
For anyone interested in this USA boxed edition of The Great Tales set of three books, Amazon currently has it discounted to $46.39 pre-order price guarantee (list is $75).

https://amzn.to/2RRvrMY

Due to come out October 23rd.
Oct 15
I have been informed by HC, that they will release a similar UK box-set in 2019.
Oct 15
Thanks Trotter, good to know!
Oct 23
HMH edition came from Amazon US today...

4451_5bcf9005d5e1e.png 1091X859 px
Oct 23
Looks a lot better than the mockups!
Oct 25

Urulöké wrote:
Looks a lot better than the mockups!

It does indeed, although it does showcase Alan Lee in all his glorious drabness.
Jump to Last