Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Great Tales boxed set

The Great Tales boxed set

Jun 13, 2018

Amazon (USA) has just put this up for pre-ordering - the three hardcover editions of The Children of Húrin, Beren and Lúthien, and The Fall of Gondolin in a boxed set presentation.

$75.00

https://amzn.to/2JH8xUg

great tales.jpg
Load previous replies
Jul 25, 2018
Having been traveling for business and pleasure last week, I wasn't able to follow closely this thread at the time. I do want to drop a small note here in response to the following:

Stu wrote:

I didn't actually say they should, did I (or that there was any harm)? You seem to like to reply to things that were never stated (on this and other threads). This isn't the HarperCollins or Tolkien-Estate fan club, so please don't expect it to be one.

I think the comments for and against a slipcased set in this thread are valid views for collectors to have, but I would prefer we not shift comments on those views to the people holding those views. I believe in the "other thread" that was just a misunderstanding caused by quirks of the site presentation of replies.
Jul 25, 2018

Urulöké wrote:
Having been traveling for business and pleasure last week, I wasn't able to follow closely this thread at the time. I do want to drop a small note here in response to the following:

Stu wrote:

I didn't actually say they should, did I (or that there was any harm)? You seem to like to reply to things that were never stated (on this and other threads). This isn't the HarperCollins or Tolkien-Estate fan club, so please don't expect it to be one.

I think the comments for and against a slipcased set in this thread are valid views for collectors to have, but I would prefer we not shift comments on those views to the people holding those views. I believe in the "other thread" that was just a misunderstanding caused by quirks of the site presentation of replies.

It's a fair cop, guv'nor
Sep 7, 2018
Did anyone else notice the CoH art has the reddish cast of the paperbacks?
Sep 14, 2018
Based on the 3 HMH hardbacks it will be a thinner box than the mockup.
Bruce
Oct 15, 2018
For anyone interested in this USA boxed edition of The Great Tales set of three books, Amazon currently has it discounted to $46.39 pre-order price guarantee (list is $75).

https://amzn.to/2RRvrMY

Due to come out October 23rd.
Oct 15, 2018
I have been informed by HC, that they will release a similar UK box-set in 2019.
Oct 15, 2018
Thanks Trotter, good to know!
Oct 23, 2018
HMH edition came from Amazon US today...

4451_5bcf9005d5e1e.png 1091X859 px
Oct 23, 2018
Looks a lot better than the mockups!
Oct 25, 2018

Urulöké wrote:
Looks a lot better than the mockups!

It does indeed, although it does showcase Alan Lee in all his glorious drabness.
Jump to Last