Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1963 Tolkien signed manuscript letter

20 Oct, 2018 (edited)
2018-10-20 6:20:33 PM UTC

Letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to Baronne A. Baeyens • 16 December 1963 (#516)

If you would like to see the original letter, then please click on the link at the end of this post, we used to post images on this site from auctions, but the Tolkien Estate has asked that we don't do this, and we are very happy to comply with this request.

Autograph Letter Signed [ALS]; Typed Letter Signed [TLS]

"I merely tried to write a story that would be 'exciting' and readable, and give me a scope for my personal pleasure in history, languages, and 'landscape'—and trees...

"The characters arise largely out of the necessities of narrative: they seem to walk on unheralded in any 'dramatic personae' or bill of performance: Maggot, Bombadil, Boromir, Faramir, Denethor, Galadriel, Theoden, Eowyn, Saruman, etc..."

REMARKABLY REVEALING LETTERS BY TOLKIEN PROVIDING INSIGHT INTO HIS THOUGHTS AND MOTIVATIONS IN THE CREATION OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS.

The first letter - a typed letter signed on Tolkien’s Oxford stationery - is dated 16th December 1963 and is a response to a letter from Baronne Baeyens of Bonn, German. In this short letter, Tolkien expresses thanks for her letter, rejects allegorical interpretations of The Lord of the Rings, and admits feeling sympathy for Gollum.

Something, however, struck Tolkien about Baeyens letter and upon reflection, it spurred him to write much more. In this long (four full sides), handwritten letter, Tolkien addresses some of the most critical topics associated with his writing. Over the course of the letter he:

-insists that The Lord of the Rings is “in no way an ‘allegory’”, but “mythical-historical” based on “deeply rooted ‘archetypal’ motifs”

-reveals his motivations for writing The Lord of the Rings (“I merely tried to write a story that would be 'exciting' and readable, and give me a scope for my personal pleasure in history, languages, and 'landscape’”)

-bemoans certain analyses of The Lord of the Rings that focus on symbolism (“they miss the point and destroy the object of their enquiry as surely as a vivisectionist destroys a cat or rabbit”)

-addresses religious “alignment” of The Lord of the Rings

-notes that he plans to produce another book about the same world

-explains the purpose and nature of the verses in The Lord of the Rings

-admits finding “very moving... the place where Gollum [is] on the brink of repentance”

-and in perhaps the most interesting section, in a detailed explanation of the origin of the character Stryder/Aragorn he provides wonderful insights into his method of creating characters.

TLS: One sheet (7x9 inches) of Tolkien’s Oxford letterhead; typed on one side. ALS: Two sheets (7x9 inches), written on four sides; first sheet with Tolkien’s Sandfield Road, Oxford address blind-stamped at top. All pages with small rust mark and pin-holes from a former staple. Usual folds (but faint). Housed in custom folder. Fine condition.

TOLKIEN LETTERS WITH SUCH EXCEPTIONALLY STRONG LITERARY CONTENT ARE EXCEEDINGLY RARE.

Price: $48,000 USD

https://web.archive.org/web/2019012821 ... s-typed-letter-signed-tls
20 Oct, 2018
2018-10-20 6:44:48 PM UTC
These letters were sold by RRAuctions this May for just under $16,000. That is a shameful price hike.
21 Oct, 2018
2018-10-21 4:37:21 AM UTC
Thanks for pointing that out, onthetrail. I have the RR Auction archived on this site as well.

Dealers, especially on the high end, are not selling to the type of collector that monitors the market, watches auctions, and finds the best price for what they are looking for. They are selling to movie stars, heads of state, Wall Street traders and the like, who want prestige items to show off, or are trying to build collections that when donated will get their name on a library at their alma mater or similar. Price is not the object, having one-of-a-kind items is the point, and (almost) any price is insignificant compared to their cash flow.

Admittedly, sometimes dealers overshoot their clients and have to sell off later for much less than they thought, but 60-70% margin above what they paid is quite in line with everything I have seen. They can pass it on to another dealer who does have someone who wants it for 50% off list, and still make a profit.

The challenge, and the fun (for me at least), is the hunt to find these unique items without just going to the high end dealers and paying their premium.
21 Oct, 2018
2018-10-21 9:02:11 AM UTC
Many thanks for the info Urulöké.

If some of this stuff ends up in libraries or donated to literary archives it ends well but the thin end is that these items spend years in the hands of people who only value the financial or kudos worth.

Thankfully my local library is dedicated to Wilfred Owen rather than a rich Wall Street banker or a movie star.
22 Oct, 2018
2018-10-22 8:42:59 AM UTC
Excellent, thank you! Very interesting, indeed!

Going through the letter, I noticed a few points in the transcription.

At the bottom of page 2 of the hand-written letter (after the paragraph ending “... Saxony.”) there is a paragraph missing from the transcript:
I am indeed under contract to produce (by putting into order the already written tales of the earlier ages, referred to in the Appendices) another book about the same ‘world’; but I have been hampered by the need to finish off some learned and semi-learned professional work. That's nearly accomplished.

On page 3, about the middle (early in the ‘Stryder’ paragraph), I believe that “this sensation” is a misreading for “the sensation”. Later in the same paragraph, I am unsure whether it should be “bill of performance” or “bill of performers”, though I am leaning to the latter (I hope the Estate will not mind my including an image of those three words specifically) . In line four of page 4, I am, however, quite certain that it reads “owes a good deal” (rather than a “great deal”).

In the penultimate paragraph, the parenthesis reads “[??] not very perceptive” – I wonder if the unreadable sign might be an ampersand: “& not very perceptive” to continue the list of adjectives for Sam's loyalty.

Finally the transcription omits a “v.” in the final paragraph, where the first sentence should read, “The drawing I am v. grateful for.

673_5bcd8d42e95d1.jpg 421X73 px
22 Oct, 2018
2018-10-22 10:22:39 PM UTC
Definitely "bill of performers".

The unreadable sign is definitely not an ampersand. In isolation I would read it as "by" or (if this were found in Tolkien's hastier handwriting) "being"; but in this case I think either form is simply a mistake for "but".
24 Oct, 2018
2018-10-24 8:21:32 PM UTC
Wow! What a cognitive bombshell. The kind from the Star Trek installment that creates rather than destroys. Such a plethora of interesting comments which resonate with so much else in the legendarium or the essays. A great example of his compression: “…simply meant to be a history as it appears.” to “my story is in no way an 'allegory'…but mythical-historical.” Then mentions the, “…'archetypal' motifs… putting of them into an entirely new setting, carefully devised, that gives the sense of 'reality.' Fits for me.
Then to take it away and to put all us Tolkien unpackers in our place: “But that is, of course, for me, as much as for any reader or critic, an afterthought. I did not set out to do this.” He then mentions writing what pleased him & specifically included his trees.
But who, in retrospect, was the Man behind Strider/Aragorn? Who resonated with a “the hidden King”? Who fit “Of the 'perilous' kind…”?
¿Lewis? Craigie? Tolkien seemed to be referring to the attributes of several people but more one in particular. Lewis comes to mind in the comment, “They often surprise you, because sharp facets of word or deed may suddenly show that only long knowledge could relate to their centre. They cannot be taken for granted. If you become slack, after (say) much experience of their kindness, and treat them as if they were something soft (like india rubber), you find that what is only insulation covering a live wire connected with a dynamo—and you get anything from a smart titillation to a severe shock.” To me this brings up Lewis’ marriage and whatever is in the “Ulsterior Motive” (or however it is spelled). I have no idea of Strider relates to Craigie other than he rose based on merit not birth.

Thank you to onthertrail, Troels Frochhammer & Aelfwine for the updates.

Bruce
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us