Tolkien Collector's Guide
Fellowship: Question #6 - artists!

Fellowship: Question #6 - artists!

Nov 11

What artist would you like to see illustrate a Tolkien book, that hasn't yet had such an opportunity from the publishers?

If possible, provide link to the artist's website or other online presence, thanks!

Having illustrated or provide cover art for a book about Tolkien does not disqualify the artist, for this particular discussion. And there will be a question later about favorite foreign edition cover art, save those up!
Load previous replies
Nov 15
Yep, Patrick Wynne.

101_5bede501e1ebf.png 372X671 px
Nov 16
I like those Patrick Wynne pictures a lot.
Dec 6
Seller: belchrn (8936)
Ended Dec 6, 2018
Buy-It-Now:
$850.00
Guessing everyone's seen this? On the subject of art, I think these look really great... if they weren't so overpriced I might even consider making an offer. I like the seller's claim that they "may be the very first professionally illustrated set of The Lord of the Rings." Could be! (Not sure if it qualifies as 'professional' though.)

eBay item #132399465897
Dec 6
They are actually quite cool - nice art. I don't think the price is unreasonable for the amount of illustrations.
Dec 6
They've been up for quite a while now. I like them & they're definitely something I'd be interested in if they were cheaper.
Dec 6
Looks like somebody (I'm thinking here) has bought them. Good! I like them very much myself.
Dec 6

Aelfwine wrote:
Looks like somebody (I'm thinking here) has bought them. Good! I like them very much myself.

Wow, look at that, if it was somewhere here it'd be great to see a few more pages of illustrations!
Dec 7

Berelach wrote:

Aelfwine wrote:

Wow, look at that, if it was somewhere here it'd be great to see a few more pages of illustrations!

Likewise - would love to see them. I considered buying the set, but shipping, duties, etc would have added a bit too much cost to justify.
Dec 8
Rackham, Fairy in a Tree in the current online Sotheby's auction, lot 255.
https://www.sothebys.com/buy/5d9db10f- ... 08-47bb-8358-bef3e5e4886d
Forget the fairy, the tree is quite Entish.
Dec 8
That's a very entish tree drawing, yes! I like it a lot, thanks for sharing Arbor.
Jump to Last