Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

The Dialect of The Huddersfield District
By Stu
Shirrif (Moderator)

The Dialect of The Huddersfield District

Mar 26 (edited)

Given that we don't know what the Dust Jacket actually looked like (other than Perhaps Wayne who has seen one), I'm trying to make something plausible just to protect the spine of the book from UV on the shelf. I can figure out the correct size easily enough (as I know how wide the flaps were from shadowing on the endpapers).

Any suggestions, help, etc. welcomed

[Edit: It looked nothing whatsoever like my first musings, attached here! ]

228_5c99e73fdc603.png 2828X1288 px
Load previous replies
Mar 29

laurel wrote:
Great job Stu
your talents are never ending

Yeah, sadly my talent for getting the RFP that I was supposed to have done this week not so good, so now having to put up with spousal nagging about why I need to work on weekend
Mar 29
That looks fantastic, Stu! You got skillz.
Mar 30

Aelfwine wrote:
That looks fantastic, Stu! You got skillz.

Ta. Fortunately pretty inexpensive software makes it fairly easy. I use Picta Graphic (previously known as AutoDesk Graphic, and before that Indeeo iDraw). That combined with GraphicConverter for the bitmap work is quite a powerful little toolset for $30. Not as good as the Adobe products, but a fraction of the price, and really good for amateur use like mine.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idraw/id404705039?mt=12
Mar 30
I've been a long-time user of the brilliant GraphicConverter. For layout, I've long been a fan of InDesign — but as a Mac user I haven't had (or at least known about) many other options.
Mar 30

Aelfwine wrote:
I've been a long-time user of the brilliant GraphicConverter. For layout, I've long been a fan of InDesign — but as a Mac user I haven't had (or at least known about) many other options.

Yeah, InDesign is nice. Graphic is more of an alternative to Illustrator, really. I have an old Illustrator CS6 that I use for the odd thing, where I can't do it with Graphic (primarily image tracing).

On the subject of the Huddersfield jacket, I have an open question with The British Library to see if either of their two copies have jackets. I tried OUP, but thus far no response, and I don't have a huge expectation there.
Mar 30
I did indeed see a dust-jacket, long ago, and have now unearthed my notes for the book. The only copy I saw with a jacket was at the Marion E. Wade Center at Wheaton College, Illinois. I think it may have been price-clipped.

Wayne
Mar 30
Thanks Wayne, that’s very helpful to know.

Stu, I know some people at the Wade center who may be able to help. I’ll reach out.
Mar 30

Urulókë wrote:
Thanks Wayne, that’s very helpful to know.

Stu, I know some people at the Wade center who may be able to help. I’ll reach out.

Awesome. Thanks, Urolokë (and Wayne for digging back into your notes)!
Mar 30
For what it's worth, I'm living pretty close to the Wade Center right now; it's a day trip, but an easy one (Marquette's a little further but also within reach). I'm sure I'll be finding reasons to visit every now and then so if anyone needs anything that can't be coordinated from the internet, you can let me know.
Mar 31
Good evening all,
I just joined this excellent homepage and I found a piece of information you might find useful.

I checked the Copenhagen Street Directories 1923 - 1928 and The Oxford University Press had its offices in:
Store Kongensgade 40H, 4.
('4' means '4th floor')

I got to 1928 when I was sidetracked by dinner, but if you want me to check further years, do let me know.
Load more
Jump to Last