Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Sep, 2019
2019-9-25 8:27:08 AM UTC
Stu: Is the situation in NZ regarding the 'Hobbit' law still in the news?

Those lack of rights for workers would be right up Amazon's profit over workers style.
25 Sep, 2019
2019-9-25 8:59:43 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
Stu: Is the situation in NZ regarding the 'Hobbit' law still in the news?

Those lack of rights for workers would be right up Amazon's profit over workers style.

Not really. Disappointingly, that seems to have been largely forgotten about (or at least I haven't seen it mentioned in the context of any of the recent reporting about the Amazon production).
25 Sep, 2019
2019-9-25 10:32:30 PM UTC
I saw references in a few news articles to a measure that was announced in June of this year that would allow film/TV contract workers to organize/unionize, which undid the primary problem the "Hobbit Law" was causing these past few years. I haven't followed that news closely at all, so maybe others know a bit more about it and can chime in?

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/re ... hts-screen-sector-workers
(June 13, 2019)
“The Film Industry Working Group unanimously agreed on a model that means screen sector workers can continue as contractors, but will gain the right to negotiate collectively using good faith bargaining and a dispute resolution scheme. These are similar to the protections that employees enjoy, but most of our screen sector workers have missed out on for the last nine years.

“This model will deliver workplace rights to more workers than a straight repeal of the ‘Hobbit law’ would have. Instead we are ensuring more workers gain workplace protections, while providing certainty and flexibility for our internationally-competitive screen sector.

“This is a win-win solution that demonstrates the value of the Government’s collaborative approach to building a productive, sustainable and inclusive economy.”
25 Sep, 2019
2019-9-25 11:34:11 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
I saw references in a few news articles to a measure that was announced in June of this year that would allow film/TV contract workers to organize/unionize, which undid the primary problem the "Hobbit Law" was causing these past few years. I haven't followed that news closely at all, so maybe others know a bit more about it and can chime in?

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/re ... hts-screen-sector-workers
(June 13, 2019)
“The Film Industry Working Group unanimously agreed on a model that means screen sector workers can continue as contractors, but will gain the right to negotiate collectively using good faith bargaining and a dispute resolution scheme. These are similar to the protections that employees enjoy, but most of our screen sector workers have missed out on for the last nine years.

“This model will deliver workplace rights to more workers than a straight repeal of the ‘Hobbit law’ would have. Instead we are ensuring more workers gain workplace protections, while providing certainty and flexibility for our internationally-competitive screen sector.

“This is a win-win solution that demonstrates the value of the Government’s collaborative approach to building a productive, sustainable and inclusive economy.”

We will see how it pans out. This government originally promised to repeal it as part if their first-100 days plan. Now they won't be doing that, and the proof of whether what they are suggesting is equivalent will be in the final legislation (which if it is anything like the gun legislation will be a total mess). The devil will be in the detail. I had high hopes for this government, but so far they have pretty much failed to deliver on any of their promises, and seem every bit as bad (if not worse) than the previous administration (who were pretty bad). Ardern does a good job of getting herself on magazine covers and paving her way to a senior position at the UN, though.
26 Sep, 2019
2019-9-26 9:30:25 AM UTC
That is a shame, the NZ government has a good reputation in the media in the UK, I did assume though that like Obama there was a large dose of media whoring going on with it.

I do hope that the new legislation protects workers but I am not hopeful given that Amazon have chosen to work there. Previous NZ labour regulations are perfectly in keeping with Bezos' attitude toward workers.
27 Sep, 2019
2019-9-27 1:09:10 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:
That is a shame, the NZ government has a good reputation in the media in the UK, I did assume though that like Obama there was a large dose of media whoring going on with it.

I do hope that the new legislation protects workers but I am not hopeful given that Amazon have chosen to work there. Previous NZ labour regulations are perfectly in keeping with Bezos' attitude toward workers.

I think that's part of the problem. Jacinda Ardern is more interested in her international reputation (and UN future) than actually doing a good job. The firearms legislation that was rushed through here in 6 days was a great example. It wasn't about good law (as you don't get good law in 6 days), it was about being quicker than Australia and getting on magazine covers / TV shows.
17 Apr, 2020
2020-4-17 10:06:56 PM UTC
Rumour is Shippey is gone.

Thoughts?
17 Apr, 2020
2020-4-17 10:21:11 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Thoughts?

I suspect it was his natural stepping off point. The writers went on hiatus other than the room leaders before we approached this current world situation and why would Amazon retain a Tolkien expert when his role had surely been fulfilled. I know on Reddit they have lost the plot over this but I honestly don't see the problem.
17 Apr, 2020
2020-4-17 10:37:57 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Thoughts?

I'll have to remain mum on his involvement, sorry.

I think the show is going to be "fine" (meaning it will get made, and the Estate and HarperCollins will still have their say on what gets made) either way, with Shippey or without.
17 Apr, 2020
2020-4-17 10:48:23 PM UTC
Are you suggesting Shippey was their inside man?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us