Tolkien Collector's Guide

Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

BnF Catalogue - Tolkien - Voyage en Terre du Milieu

BnF Catalogue - Tolkien - Voyage en Terre du Milieu

Sep 14 (edited)

Some information on the Catalogue for the exhibition at the BnF in Paris.

Title, Tolkien - Voyage en Terre du Milieu
Authors, Vincent Ferré, Frédéric Manfrin
ISBN(EAN) 9782717728064
Publication 17th October 2019

Tolkien-Voyage-en-Terre-du-Milieu.jpg

Amazon.fr link, https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2717728066/re ... 3044141_185740131_TE_item

I've bought a copy, really looking forward to this.

Should have stated that if you already own the excellent Tolkien: Maker of Middle-Earth, then you may be interested in this book, as different items from The Bodleian and Marquette University will be on display at this exhibition.

You can see some of the book here, http://editions.bnf.fr/extrait-tolkien

Look for a review between the two books after the launch next month
Load previous replies
Oct 19
Received it today, nicely bound book and printed book, a lot of illustrations.

I will try and do a comparison with what is extra in the book, concentrating on illustrations as my French is awful, typical of someone who's first language is English.
Oct 19
Mine arrived just now, much to my surprise as Monday was the intended delivery.

Just a quick browse through for now but I am very impressed by what I see so far. My french will be enough to cover the basics of the book but like others I bought it for the extra images not in 'Maker of Middle-earth'.
Oct 20
I am very impressed with the book, It is a taller book than Maker of Middle-earth, and print quality is equally as good as the Bodleian hardback.

It definitely contains some manuscripts that I have not seen before, I think most of the illustrations and drawings look to have been already published.

10_5dac296add491.jpg 4128X3096 px
Oct 20
(edited)
Urulókë and Olwe are at the exhibition today and posted an interesting picture on Twitter of the exhibition book shop, which shows the catalogue and what looks like a white paperback. Asked what it was, and Urulókë replied It’s the “photo book” of the exhibition. I have a copy and will provide more info soon. €16.50, softcover. High quality reproductions too.

The ISBN number is 9782717728170

10_5dac56ad78422.jpg 1152X2048 px
Oct 20
I ordered the catalog from Amazon France and as soon as it arrived Amazon Germany and Amazon UK listed it much cheaper. So for those who want this, look around, France is very expensive compared to other sites.
Oct 20
This is the cover of the "Photo Book", does not appear to be available to purchase at the moment unless you visit the exhibition, expect this to change soon.

10_5dac5eaa38033.jpg 768X1024 px
Oct 20

onthetrail wrote:
I ordered the catalog from Amazon France and as soon as it arrived Amazon Germany and Amazon UK listed it much cheaper. So for those who want this, look around, France is very expensive compared to other sites.

It looks to be about £2 cheaper on Amazon UK than Amazon France, am I missing something.
Oct 20
It was €45 delivered from Amazon France and at the moment it is €30.87 on Amazon Germany so around €33 (£28) delivered to the UK. It is £32.64 currently on Amazon UK so Germany is by far the cheapest.
Oct 20
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.
Oct 20

Trotter wrote:
I bought it for €41.68 including delivery which is currently about £35.84 from Amazon Fr, I agree it is cheaper by a few pounds, but I was happy to be able to get the item and am happy with the price that I paid.

UK is not much cheaper, Germany is quite a saving if one is looking to save £10 (price of an average paperback after all). I am more than happy with the price I paid (£37), the book is worth it.
Jump to Last