Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Christmas Haul

28 Dec, 2019
2019-12-28 2:40:31 AM UTC

Hey all,

So the holidays are currently happening, and I thought it'd be a great opportunity to share what Tolkien items you may have received - either from others or gotten yourself (rare find, giftcard usage, etc....)

Me, I got The Hobbit Sketchbook, signed by Alan Lee, and sold via Blackwell's (has that 'signed by author' sticker on it.) Nothing special 'collectability' wise butstill pretty neat to have a signed item - yes, I know they are very common lately!

I have my eye set on The Keys to Middle-earth by Palgrave - and perhaps 1 or 2 other Tolkien books by them; and I have a A Secret Vice in paperback on pre-order.
29 Dec, 2019
2019-12-29 6:20:14 AM UTC

insurrbution wrote:
Hey all,

So the holidays are currently happening, and I thought it'd be a great opportunity to share what Tolkien items you may have received - either from others or gotten yourself (rare find, giftcard usage, etc....)

Me, I got The Hobbit Sketchbook, signed by Alan Lee, and sold via Blackwell's (has that 'signed by author' sticker on it.) Nothing special 'collectability' wise butstill pretty neat to have a signed item - yes, I know they are very common lately!

I have my eye set on The Keys to Middle-earth by Palgrave - and perhaps 1 or 2 other Tolkien books by them; and I have a A Secret Vice in paperback on pre-order.

Got nuthin'. Now I have a toddler (well, almost -- only table-edge toddling at the moment), all gift-givers have redirected their attentions to a far cuter recipient. I can't say I blame them.
29 Dec, 2019
2019-12-29 11:14:33 AM UTC

Stu wrote:
Got nuthin'. Now I have a toddler (well, almost -- only table-edge toddling at the moment), all gift-givers have redirected their attentions to a far cuter recipient. I can't say I blame them.

Table-edge toddling should be a proper age range, great description of the calm you face before your world comes crashing down Stu

I did actually end up with a Tolkien gift this Christmas. My mother in-law got me a replacement for my black spine The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien as sadly mine fell apart (it had damage to the spine from new but I kept it as I knew I would be picking it up often), and she saw that I was missing the Road to Middle-earth black spine to go with the series so I ended up with that too.

FYI: The Letters has no impression, just 'printed in 2006'.
29 Dec, 2019
2019-12-29 7:04:02 PM UTC
Was traveling to family for the week, just back. Got a nice bookmark (made of wood veneer) as a surprise, and a book from my wishlist. And lots of good times with family!

1_5e08f89439717.jpg 2458X3146 px
30 Dec, 2019
2019-12-30 2:53:45 PM UTC
Great, all - thanks for sharing! There's a chance that the paperback edition of A Secret Vice could be my last Tolkien book!
30 Dec, 2019
2019-12-30 5:26:54 PM UTC
Last? Like, ever?
30 Dec, 2019
2019-12-30 11:32:15 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Last? Like, ever?

Well, the Professor is dead. There can't be that many new books to come...

Oh, wait -- who am I kidding? There will be one per year for at least another century.
31 Dec, 2019
2019-12-31 12:53:11 AM UTC
Well, things like anniversary and illustrated editions of existing material is expected over the years; though of what's currently available (and that I'm interested in) I'm pretty much done!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us