Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

9 Mar, 2020
2020-3-9 11:59:36 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Stu wrote:
1951 Hobbit, No jacket, £125

Guilty. Oh and btw, no, I don't snap things up first I moved from New York to Chicago about a year ago and have only had a small fraction of the time to dedicate to books that I used to when I was making the US TolkienBooks site. I used to check eBay all the time... now I'm lucky if I can check it once a day (though I guess that's still relatively often).

Shifted priorities and all. I miss doing the research though... and am a bit disappointed that I left some smaller Tolkien-related projects in limbo. But who wouldn't like to have more time for hobbies? Maybe if/when I'm house-bound for my inevitable two weeks I can get to some of them.

But very happy to be getting a UK 5th, even without a jacket. And I found a US 5th last week (first state, I only had the second state). A terrible ex-lib copy with jacket flaps pasted on the back pages, but still nice to have... and only $30. Those two copies complete my second edition Hobbits, UK and US. Probably be a while before I replace the four or five that are missing jackets... but I'm getting there!

Did you ask the guy to relist, as it was initially not a BIN (I saw it yesterday)?
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 12:27:04 AM UTC

Did you ask the guy to relist, as it was initially not a BIN (I saw it yesterday)?

I asked if he would be willing to consider offers, yeah.
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 12:52:31 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

I asked if he would be willing to consider offers, yeah.

D'oh. I should have done that! 1951 is the only one I'm after at the mo!
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 1:43:50 AM UTC

Well, if I buy one with a jacket before you find one, it's all yours.

Honestly I don't think it's really fair to ask sellers to do that and I feel guilty (as I sort of mentioned before hah). If the auction had started at a higher price I would have just placed a bid to keep it there. But since the starting price was so low I couldn't resist asking. I missed out on a Methuen Silmarillion because someone did that. I had planned to bid quite high and was using a bid sniper, but the buyer accepted an offer (via message, not the Best Offer button) of something like $25 IIRC. I wasn't happy about it, it didn't feel fair, and I don't feel so great about doing it myself
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 6:33:37 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Well, if I buy one with a jacket before you find one, it's all yours.

Honestly I don't think it's really fair to ask sellers to do that and I feel guilty (as I sort of mentioned before hah). If the auction had started at a higher price I would have just placed a bid to keep it there. But since the starting price was so low I couldn't resist asking. I missed out on a Methuen Silmarillion because someone did that. I had planned to bid quite high and was using a bid sniper, but the buyer accepted an offer (via message, not the Best Offer button) of something like $25 IIRC. I wasn't happy about it, it didn't feel fair, and I don't feel so great about doing it myself

I'll take the '51 off your hands when the time comes you get a jacketed one, assuming I haven't found one (jacketed or unjacketed) first!
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 1:05:33 PM UTC
I did notice a seller in Chicago seemed to have suspiciously similar listings to the old Berelach NY account(s)!

Makes sense now. Btw, can these "Tolkien-related projects in limbo" not be done in your new place? Or is it the "priorities" rather than the location that is curtailing acitivities now? ;)
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 2:59:59 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
I did notice a seller in Chicago seemed to have suspiciously similar listings to the old Berelach NY account(s)!

Makes sense now. Btw, can these "Tolkien-related projects in limbo" not be done in your new place? Or is it the "priorities" rather than the location that is curtailing acitivities now? ;)

Oh, it's the 'priorities' (mainly work), location made no difference other than marking the time of change.
10 Mar, 2020
2020-3-10 5:54:59 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
1951 Hobbit, No jacket, £125

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: syntax64
(3584)
Ended Mar 8, 2020
This item ended more than 90 days ago

This is one of my favourite Hobbit editions, well done at getting it at that price.
16 Apr, 2020 (edited)
2020-4-16 11:00:22 PM UTC
Seller: smiles197fs
(1408)
Ended Aug 26, 2020

(prob about three times the price it should be, mind)
21 Jun, 2020
2020-6-21 4:09:50 AM UTC
Putting this here because I found the list of licensing information quite interesting to note though I don’t think Mr. Zaentz’s signature is worth this....

Seller: kenzienana
(2181)
Ended Feb 19, 2021
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us