Amazon.co.uk
Blackwell's
ebay.com
ebay.co.uk

-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Tolkien's Worlds: The places that inspired the writer's imagination

May 14, 2019 (edited)
2019/5/14 14:32:14 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

This new book from renowned Tolkien expert John Garth connects the places which inspired Tolkien with their eventual appearances in his work. Organised by theme, Tolkien’s Worlds offers an illustrated biography of one of the world’s best-loved authors, an exploration of the relationship between worlds real and fantastical, and an inspiration for anyone who wants to follow in Tolkien’s footsteps. Featuring over 100 images, the book includes Tolkien’s own illustrations, maps, archive images and spectacular present-day photographs.

Published 4th February 2020 in the UK and March 2020 in the US/Canada at the moment.

Tolkien's Worlds on Amazon.co.uk

For US and Canada, you can order from Princeton University Press

10_5cdad1678ac4f.jpg 2067X2560 px
Load previous replies
May 12
2020/5/12 15:53:17 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Trotter wrote:

onthetrail wrote:
that is so great and an example of how well John has researched this book.

I'm really pleased that this website is acknowledged in the book, very well deserved

It is very well deserved
May 12
2020/5/12 16:25:11 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So little love for David Day here. Shocking.
May 12
2020/5/12 16:41:26 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Khamûl wrote:
Could John not have imagined a better title?! :D
(Also, what happened to "Tolkien's Worlds"?)

Seriously, is there not already a book called The World of Tolkien? This is practically the same title. We live in a world of internet search engines; that title just isn't... unique enough. Sure, Garth is uncommon...

I don't know particulars for John and this book specifically, but... usually the book title is set by (a) the publisher and their marketing department, and (b) after going through the Estate grinder for permission. Both with author input of course, but probably not John's fault what sausage came out the end of that process. 😉
May 12
2020/5/12 17:34:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

onthetrail wrote:

Trotter wrote:

onthetrail wrote:
that is so great and an example of how well John has researched this book.

I'm really pleased that this website is acknowledged in the book, very well deserved

It is very well deserved

Very nice!!
May 19 (edited)
2020/5/19 7:38:12 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

The publisher of the book, Princeton University Press, has kindly offered the discount code “TOLKIEN20” to receive a 20% discount on your order and free shipping thru June 30, 2020. You can support local bookstores by ordering the book online or by phone (many bookstores are taking orders and delivering books despite closed storefronts at the moment). The book can also be purchased directly from Princeton University Press:

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hard ... e-worlds-of-j-r-r-tolkien
May 19
2020/5/19 15:23:48 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
No idea who asked the first question to John?
May 19
2020/5/19 17:09:54 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I am watching now.

Bless the lady, she is so smitten with John
May 21
2020/5/21 20:01:56 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
This book is one of the most interesting ideas in recent years. I heard from John Garth himself that the book would be translated into other languages. Does anyone here know which ones?
May 21
2020/5/21 20:08:57 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
So far, John has announced:

I'm delighted to announce that THE WORLDS OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN will be published in French by Hachette Heroes, translated by Xavier Hanart. Due out in November.

I’m delighted to announce that The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien will be published in German by WBG Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft in 2021.

These came from his public Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnGarthWriter/
May 24
2020/5/24 3:37:15 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The Observer

The English towers and landmarks that inspired Tolkien's hobbit sagas

Book identifies middle England sources for sites of key scenes from Middle-earth books

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020 ... as?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Jump to Last