Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 9:00:39 PM UTC
Ah well! Can’t lose what you never had. I’ll await my refund and look for a deal (if I can find one).
25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 9:02:21 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
The Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
John Garth
(hardback)
$33.50
Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days

This will update automatically with their (UK) price, if you want to check in occasionally.

(I still have to get it to properly localize for those of us not in the UK too)
25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 9:25:55 PM UTC
There are new copies on eBay for down around the £16 mark.

Btw, should I expect my order with PUP to be cancelled Urulókë?
25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 9:27:45 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
The Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
John Garth
(hardback)
$33.50
Availability: Usually dispatched within 7 days

This will update automatically with their (UK) price, if you want to check in occasionally.

(I still have to get it to properly localize for those of us not in the UK too)
Speaking of those of us not in the UK, anyone got a site recommendation for ordering HarperCollins editions for those of us in the US?

Used to go with Amazon.co.uk for most since their shipping to the US was typically one of the better ones, but with recent changes as a result of covid-19, not really a great option when getting hit with a $30+ DHL shipping charge. BookDepository has been really hit or miss in their packaging, and my few orders from them always arrive a week or two after my Amazon.co.uk orders.

For The Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien, hard to beat PUP's current price (for those in the US) but for more recently announced (or previously announced by more details revealed, etc.), I'm starting to look for new options.
25 Jun, 2020
2020-6-25 9:32:49 PM UTC
Khamûl - That is what I am told (by John). You might send them an email to inquire just to be sure, but I feel they will be proactive eventually. As they officially offered to ship worldwide and are now retracting, they might be in a bit of a scramble to fix things for everyone.

Velmeran - Blackwell's will ship to the USA. The affiliate widget currently assumes everyone is in the UK, but it you click through it will show you the price for US or other countries based on where it thinks you are. I am working to make the widget work more smoothly in this regard too.

I have also had success in the USA shopping at Book Depository (https://www.bookdepository.com/)

Here are a few on eBay as well:

Seller: alibrisbooks
(406336)
Ends Apr 7, 2024 10:04:28 AM UTC
Buy-It-Now:
$26.76

Seller: bargainbookstores
(1093770)
Ends Apr 9, 2024 7:00:40 AM UTC
Buy-It-Now:
$25.14
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 12:27:51 AM UTC
Half off right now! Wow that's a deal. I ordered 2 copies...

https://press.princeton.edu/books/hard ... WDmtKTK0G-DbUVNNmPwTiab_U
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 7:41:59 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:
I have heard from John, who heard from Princeton University Press, that they only have distribution rights for the USA (for this title only!), so this deal will only be honored for purchases made that ship to the USA. Sorry for the confusion! PUP says that they will fully refund any orders the website accepted for international shipping locations.

Other PUP titles ordered during this sale will still ship worldwide with free shipping.

I would assume that the publicity for this sale finally drew the attention of the UK publisher, who expressed dismay to PUP. This would probably explain why some earlier sales were allowed to go through.

So is this being co-published? Tbh, I didn't realise, as I would never have normally bought a US edition when a UK one was available. I blame you, Urulókë; obviously.
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 7:48:39 PM UTC
Not that this helps anything, but I made an entry for this last week: www.tolkienbooks.us/at/the-worlds-of-jrr-tolkien-2020
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 7:56:44 PM UTC
Is your Frances Lincoln hyperlink intended to go somewhere?
26 Jun, 2020
2020-6-26 8:09:23 PM UTC
It is my understanding that there is only one edition - when those of you in the UK start getting your "UK" edition I think it has the exact same copyright page (and was part of the same print run in Singapore). Just took longer for the boats to get to the UK than the US.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us