Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Tengwar Hobbit

25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 11:01:05 AM UTC

Tsvetelina Krumova (Elmenel) is a Bulgarian artist, calligrapher and graphic designer. On her website she describes the developing of her project creating books in Tengwar: "Parma Eldaliéva"('Book of the Elves'). Until end of July there will be the opportunity to purchase her Tengwar calligraphic art 'version' of "The Hobbit".

http://www.parmaeldalieva.com/ParmaEldalieva1.html

Elmenel has created much more Tengwar art, maps and huge scrolls written and crafted 'elvish like'.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 11:25:33 AM UTC
At a mere 120€...
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 11:52:04 AM UTC

gobbledygook wrote:

At a mere 120€...

Given the limited nature of it, the time spent on producing the pages, publishing costs for a short run of books, postage, fees, and many other costs I have no clue about, that seems a very reasonable price for something so specific. Each page is like its own piece of artwork. If I were interested in such a work I wouldn't blink at the price.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 1:36:51 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

gobbledygook wrote:

At a mere 120€...

Given the limited nature of it, the time spent on producing the pages, publishing costs for a short run of books, postage, fees, and many other costs I have no clue about, that seems a very reasonable price for something so specific. Each page is like its own piece of artwork. If I were interested in such a work I wouldn't blink at the price.

I'd agree but from experience all you get for that price is a scanned and printed page, not the original or a limited print.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 2:32:48 PM UTC
A friend of mine is buying this and paying the artist extra to include some hand drawn artwork in the front and end pages. So that says to me that you would get a scanned and copied version if you were to purchase.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 2:47:27 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

A friend of mine is buying this and paying the artist extra to include some hand drawn artwork in the front and end pages. So that says to me that you would get a scanned and copied version if you were to purchase.

This may be a one off, but I was not happy with purchasing one single page in the past from this artist.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 3:51:31 PM UTC
I met Elmenel at Tolkien2019 at the art room, and absolutely loved what I saw. I own a copy of The Art of Elmenel - Parma Eldaliéva - Special 1 and all of the map prints that she had available at the time, and am more than happy with my purchases. The print and assembly quality is top notch for the book, and the materials used are quite sumptuous (to use a popular word ?).

Purchasing art from an artist is, as always, a personal choice for aesthetic and value. I gladly paid her asking price because I was quite happy holding it in my hand and loving the contents of the book itself. These are printed books, not hand-crafted ones, but that in no way made me hesitate.

I also bought original art from four other artists at the show, and paid prices that varied 10x between the pieces (Elmenel didn't have any original art on offer, or I probably would have bought one of hers as well). Does this mean I vastly over (or under) paid for all but one of them? No!

As a final note, Elmenel is one of the featured artists in the upcoming Beyond Bree 2021 calendar that I am editing, as well, with a very lovely original piece.

1_5f1c52afb7428.jpg 800X539 px

1_5f1c52afb7716.jpg 800X1231 px
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 3:57:09 PM UTC
Those maps are fantastic, I like the bronzing of the paper.

Where can I get the Beyond Bree calendar?
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 4:00:43 PM UTC
Urulókë I'm glad that you were happy with this from the artist, and it does look like you got some high quality items, my purchase was a few years before this, happy that these issues have now been resolved.
25 Jul, 2020
2020-7-25 4:04:39 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Where can I get the Beyond Bree calendar?

The announcement for pre-orders should be made within the next few weeks, and the calendar itself is planned to be printed and shipping by September if all goes to plan. Working on it now!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us