Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 3
2020/9/3 19:04:53 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Is buying the CD version the only way to avoid it being locked to a specific app?
Sep 3
2020/9/3 19:58:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Morinehtar wrote:

Is buying the CD version the only way to avoid it being locked to a specific app?

Seems that way. You can only decode the DRM via Audible's app. And while they'll likely be around and continue making it easy for you to listen to it whenever you want, theoretically you could lose access someday. Ripping from CDs will give you evergreen access, and likely better quality as well.
Sep 3
2020/9/3 20:32:51 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

The Audible version of Andy Serkis' Hobbit is due to be released on September 21st in the USA.

https://amzn.to/31TOSMg

I don't have a link handy for a CD version in the USA, but I would think that would come eventually...

I found my previous post. Recorded Books lists a physical CD version, but they only sell to libraries directly. https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=25504#forumpost25504

I assume these will be available to the public one way or another in due time.
Sep 21
2020/9/21 20:14:46 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The audio book arrived today. Very underwhelmed by yet again an audio book being presented in a stack case. 9 discs stacked, most frustrating though is that the case is made for at least 12 discs which means there is movement of discs and the risk of scratching.

That aside I am really looking forward to listening to this. I will be ripping it given the poor case.

A NOTE: Please don't turn this comment into yet another HarperCollins scalding session. This problem is across home media and these cases have become standard use so my frustration is toward an industry wide problem.
Jump to Last