Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 7:04:53 PM UTC
Is buying the CD version the only way to avoid it being locked to a specific app?
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 7:58:29 PM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Is buying the CD version the only way to avoid it being locked to a specific app?

Seems that way. You can only decode the DRM via Audible's app. And while they'll likely be around and continue making it easy for you to listen to it whenever you want, theoretically you could lose access someday. Ripping from CDs will give you evergreen access, and likely better quality as well.
3 Sep, 2020
2020-9-3 8:32:51 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The Audible version of Andy Serkis' Hobbit is due to be released on September 21st in the USA.

https://amzn.to/31TOSMg

I don't have a link handy for a CD version in the USA, but I would think that would come eventually...

I found my previous post. Recorded Books lists a physical CD version, but they only sell to libraries directly. https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... t_id=25504#forumpost25504

I assume these will be available to the public one way or another in due time.
21 Sep, 2020
2020-9-21 8:14:46 PM UTC
The audio book arrived today. Very underwhelmed by yet again an audio book being presented in a stack case. 9 discs stacked, most frustrating though is that the case is made for at least 12 discs which means there is movement of discs and the risk of scratching.

That aside I am really looking forward to listening to this. I will be ripping it given the poor case.

A NOTE: Please don't turn this comment into yet another HarperCollins scalding session. This problem is across home media and these cases have become standard use so my frustration is toward an industry wide problem.
6 Jul, 2021
2021-7-6 10:38:33 AM UTC
Andy Serkis reading the ring poem.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=500930807838083
6 Jul, 2021
2021-7-6 12:30:50 PM UTC
When this is announced I will ask the inevitable question to HC, will it be on CD?

but I would not hold out any hope of another 46 CD release like the Rob Inglis version.
6 Jul, 2021
2021-7-6 12:46:19 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

When this is announced I will ask the inevitable question to HC, will it be on CD?

but I would not hold out any hope of another 46 CD release like the Rob Inglis version.

Agreed Trotter, especially given the Rob Inglis version is still readily available on almost every retail website.
6 Jul, 2021 (edited)
2021-7-6 1:20:31 PM UTC
I am certain I’m in a minority of minorities here, but I’ll say it anyway.

I loved Andy’s Gollum in the movies, but I could not endure listening to his Hobbit narration. His voice was too bass, too deep, too harsh, for my liking. This isn’t a criticism. Just a personal preference.

My all time favourite LOTR audiobook is by [Mod Edit: Name Removed]. It’s unofficial, it’s fan made, but his performance, and the overall production, really really moved me.

Trotter : I have removed the name as this site does not condone illegal audio recordings
6 Jul, 2021
2021-7-6 1:41:07 PM UTC
All good Trotter. I find it hard sometimes to know the boundary between illegal and fan art especially when the person isn’t making money off the thing. Anyway, that’s a can of worms I’d rather not open here. ?
7 Jul, 2021
2021-7-7 2:00:57 PM UTC
Any word on whether this will include the appendices?

I know that some of the appendices would not really translate to an audiobook very well.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us