Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sep 22
2020/9/22 17:57:29 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Berelach wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Stu wrote:

If you look at the top of the front flap it appears to state SECOND IMPRESSION

I agree. And the picture that I marked up does, to my eye, appear to be saying Printed in Great Britain, which matches Hammond's description of what is on the lower right corner of the rear flap for the first impression dustjacket. I am guessing that they dropped the information on the lower left corner that the first impression jacket had, but I can't seem to find a description of the second impression jacket offhand (and I don't have that impression myself).

This is my copy of the 2nd impression jacket (it does say 'SECOND IMPRESSION' at the top of the front flap). There's another copy on eBay where you can see everything more clearly.

Some more pictures of this 2nd imp. jacket. Still curious about this... were there some jackets lacking the price on the lower flap? Seems odd.

4451_5f6a3a121ee49.jpg 535X800 px

4451_5f6a3a1772de7.jpg 538X800 px

4451_5f6a3a1bd58fb.jpg 692X800 px
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:06:28 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
The price is also listed just below the three titles on the rear flap ("Medium 8vo 21s net each"). So perhaps when they printed the jackets in more than one batch for the second printings, someone decided that the lower flap left corner was duplicative (all of it appears elsewhere on the dustjacket) and dropped it?
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:09:27 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

The price is also listed just below the three titles on the rear flap ("Medium 8vo 21s net each"). So perhaps when they printed the jackets in more than one batch for the second printings, someone decided that the lower flap left corner was duplicative (all of it appears elsewhere on the dustjacket) and dropped it?

Logical theory. Has anyone seen any other copies of the 2nd imp. (or any other) like this? Deagol?
Sep 22 (edited)
2020/9/22 18:27:00 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I believe that information never shows up again (ie 3rd impressions and on don't have it, just the "Printed in Great Britain" on the lower right side of lower flap). So perhaps this indicates it was removed in the middle of the second impression. Does anyone have 3rd impression lower flaps to look at?

EDIT: Berelach corrected my bad information below. Third impressions do have the text!
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:49:02 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

Urulókë wrote:

I believe that information never shows up again (ie 3rd impressions and on don't have it, just the "Printed in Great Britain" on the lower right side of lower flap). So perhaps this indicates it was removed in the middle of the second impression. Does anyone have 3rd impression lower flaps to look at?

4451_5f6a471c5b2bd.jpg 1440X810 px
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:51:21 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Whelp. I was wrong, thanks!
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:55:18 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
Berelach beat me to it.

I don't have a 4th imp. jacket, but the 'publisher etc' info is missing from my 5th.
Sep 22
2020/9/22 18:59:16 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia

garm wrote:

Berelach beat me to it.

I don't have a 4th imp. jacket, but the 'publisher etc' info is missing from my 5th.

No 4th either and not seeing any on eBay. Here's a 5th though.

...keeping in mind that some impressions were printed in batches, as Urulókë mentioned.

4451_5f6a49732c69c.jpg 1066X847 px
Sep 22
2020/9/22 20:56:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
My first and second RoTK do have the publisher info, all other impressions ( I have all of them) do not.
I see the same thing with Fellowship of The Ring - from 7th impression onwards it does not have publishers info and Two Towers from 5th impression onwards. So my conclusion is that they stopped with the publisher's info in 1957 (7,5,3).

My second impression of Two Towers does have publishers info btw.

Oh, there is also one cute variant that I discovered before. Early impressions of Fellowship have a ''star'' instead of an asterisk on rear flap:)
Sep 22
2020/9/22 21:14:42 (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time, London, Dublin, Lisbon, Casablanca, Monrovia
I thought perhaps the eBay listing had a later impression dustjacket (as Stu's post was blurry), but another picture from the ebay listing has a better image of the top of the front flap:


Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 2.12.32 PM.png

Pretty clearly says "SECOND IM.."

so it definitely appears, that for at least one second impression jacket, there is no GA&U blurb on the bottom of the rear flap.
Jump to Last