Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 Oct, 2020
2020-10-3 3:25:04 PM UTC
Yeah, I mean ideally the limited quantities available should've been expanded, to lower the price slightly. For example, if they were limited to 1000 instead of 500, I can see them being 50 - 100 pound cheaper. I think that approach may have given them copies sold, in a faster timeframe.
3 Oct, 2020
2020-10-3 4:34:56 PM UTC
I like the interface on used.addall.com better than bookfinder.com, but they should both be what you are asking for and give good results...
3 Oct, 2020
2020-10-3 5:40:26 PM UTC
Thanks Urulókë, yeah I was looking for Addall
3 Oct, 2020
2020-10-3 9:07:30 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Yeah, I mean ideally the limited quantities available should've been expanded, to lower the price slightly. For example, if they were limited to 1000 instead of 500, I can see them being 50 - 100 pound cheaper. I think that approach may have given them copies sold, in a faster timeframe.

I doubt printing twice as many would have made any great difference to their unit cost. These were high quality books with very high quality materials. If anything, they would have sold better if they had printed less. At the time, the run of 500 for S&G was a bit surprising. 250 copies would - I think - have sold quite quickly. It is more about buyer psychology than anything. People often buy things they feel are limited, even if they would not do so if they were less limited. There is a reason for deluxe editions having nonsensical limitation statements on them (First print limited to 4000 copies, Available for a limited time only). As the item becomes more expensive, the limitation typically needs to be a bit more strict to pull people in.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us