Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

22 Nov, 2020
2020-11-22 1:12:39 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

huan68 wrote:

Another CoH super-deluxe in only a couple of weeks?! Well the last went for close to £1000. Interesting to see what this goes for.

The clamshell has some damage - I'd imagine that will impact the price to some degree. Also is lacking the original shipping carton.

Might just be the camera and a trick of the light, but the surface of the clamshell and even the book just look a bit off, like there has been some moisture or it has been cleaned/polished with something. Odd.

It really does have a look of being damp and looks patchy compared to previous examples.
22 Nov, 2020
2020-11-22 1:32:20 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

huan68 wrote:

Another CoH super-deluxe in only a couple of weeks?! Well the last went for close to £1000. Interesting to see what this goes for.

The clamshell has some damage - I'd imagine that will impact the price to some degree. Also is lacking the original shipping carton.

Might just be the camera and a trick of the light, but the surface of the clamshell and even the book just look a bit off, like there has been some moisture or it has been cleaned/polished with something. Odd.

It really does have a look of being damp and looks patchy compared to previous examples.

Yeah, I wouldn't touch it personally without having much better pictures.
22 Nov, 2020
2020-11-22 7:43:26 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

huan68 wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't touch it personally without having much better pictures.

I took a couple of cracks at it, but got outbid. It ended up going for nearly $1200 USD. Too rich for me.
22 Nov, 2020
2020-11-22 7:59:54 PM UTC
The same was sold a week ago almost 1000£ in perfect condition and this one with some failures 850£...It s too much...still waiting for a mint condition :)
22 Nov, 2020 (edited)
2020-11-22 11:00:29 PM UTC
This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: skalait
(3625)
Ended Nov 23, 2020
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Seller: scott2129
(311)
Ended Jan 9, 2021
Seller: orston_books
(2767)
Ended Nov 29, 2020
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 12:13:16 AM UTC

PanSam wrote:

The same was sold a week ago almost 1000£ in perfect condition and this one with some failures 850£...It s too much...still waiting for a mint condition :)

Honesty, I think the majority of copies out there are likely to be mint. My display copy is as-new and it has been on the shelf since 2007. I think most people keep these out of sun and away from likely harm. And copies held for investment (of which I have a couple and I know some others on here also purchased extras) will still be in their original shipping cartons and kept in an appropriate safe place. It just isn't worth buying an imperfect copy, I don't think. £850 was way too much for that one - it just didn't look right to me (aside from the obvious damage).
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 12:20:31 AM UTC
Totally agree with you
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 1:33:06 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

PanSam wrote:

£850 was way too much for that one - it just didn't look right to me (aside from the obvious damage).

I agree, but for what it's worth the seller did post/send out better pictures and that faded/damp-seeming spot was really just poor resolution. The only flaw was that dent on the box, still significant.

For anyone keeping one or more of these as an investment, do you not think this is the perfect time to sell? An imperfect copy going for £850 seems insane. And it's a fair bit more than these were going for a few years ago.. or even last year, right?
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 4:34:16 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

For anyone keeping one or more of these as an investment, do you not think this is the perfect time to sell? An imperfect copy going for £850 seems insane. And it's a fair bit more than these were going for a few years ago.. or even last year, right?

Unless you need the money right now, probably best to hold. Can you think of a reason these would ever drop in value?
23 Nov, 2020
2020-11-23 5:05:08 AM UTC

Caudimordax wrote:

Berelach wrote:

Unless you need the money right now, probably best to hold. Can you think of a reason these would ever drop in value?

Absolutely. There's a noticeable rising of prices right now due to the Amazon show (how considerable that is is debatable). Christopher's death is still recent so his signature is in demand. That particular deluxe line has seemingly ended with the release of the new deluxe UT, and CoH was always among the best of that line, probably the best (quiet Ithildin!). I could go on but isn't that enough? I'm not saying that it will lose value, just that demand is unusually high right now. And sure its value will rise in 100 years, but there are other books that will appreciate much more, Hobbit/LotR first editions for example.

I don't have one to sell, but I wish I did!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us