Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Fonstad's Atlas eBook

14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 2:03:47 AM UTC

Quick question - does anyone here have the eBook version of the Atlas? I am wondering how it handles the maps (specifically the ones that span two pages).

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
The Atlas Of Middle-Earth
Fonstad, Karen Wynn
(Kindle Edition)
$18.99
Availability: Now
14 Dec, 2020 (edited)
2020-12-14 4:47:21 AM UTC
I was not aware that a Kindle edition existed. It is not available on the UK Amazon but I'd be interested also to know how the maps are handled.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 6:23:13 PM UTC
the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon (US) made it clear that the maps were displayed without page breaks - see images below - so I went ahead and ordered myself a copy to play around with further. Not having portions of the maps lost in the gutter seemed useful to me.

1_5fd7ad840f4be.jpg 800X600 px

1_5fd7ad8cce6b5.png 771X536 px
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 6:31:24 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon (US) made it clear that the maps were displayed without page breaks - see images below - so I went ahead and ordered myself a copy to play around with further. Not having portions of the maps lost in the gutter seemed useful to me.

That looks very clean Jeremy. Am I right thinking that the maps are displayed up top with the text in the lower portion of pages?
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 6:49:56 PM UTC
The maps are placed in the text at the correct place - then, based on font/view settings on the Kindle, they can appear anywhere on the page based on where the Kindle calculates page breaks belong. Usually that means the top as many maps are at the beginning of new sections that get hard breaks inserted no matter what view settings are in play.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 7:08:00 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The maps are placed in the text at the correct place - then, based on font/view settings on the Kindle, they can appear anywhere on the page based on where the Kindle calculates page breaks belong. Usually that means the top as many maps are at the beginning of new sections that get hard breaks inserted no matter what view settings are in play.

That really does sound like a great way to view this volume. I will inquire into whether it is available in the UK or German territories. Thanks Jeremy.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 7:15:25 PM UTC
If it is not (I haven't checked), it is sufficient, and legal as far as I am aware, to switch (temporarily) kindle marketplace and buy it in the US.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 7:19:41 PM UTC
Done a bit of experimenting, and thought it pertinent to mention here (and, as this has sidetracked from the main topic, I am going to move the Kindle Atlas conversation to a separate thread momentarily).

The map images are very nice/high resolution, and can be zoomed in quite a bit on the device I tried (Apple iPhone Kindle app). However, they are not zoomable in the Mac Kindle app, nor in the web reader, so they are hard to read on those two interfaces without zoom capability.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 7:36:54 PM UTC

Ecthelion wrote:

If it is not (I haven't checked), it is sufficient, and legal as far as I am aware, to switch (temporarily) kindle marketplace and buy it in the US.

Oh that sounds interesting. Thank you. I will look into that and see how it works and report back here.
14 Dec, 2020
2020-12-14 7:39:26 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Done a bit of experimenting, and thought it pertinent to mention here (and, as this has sidetracked from the main topic, I am going to move the Kindle Atlas conversation to a separate thread momentarily).

The map images are very nice/high resolution, and can be zoomed in quite a bit on the device I tried (Apple iPhone Kindle app). However, they are not zoomable in the Mac Kindle app, nor in the web reader, so they are hard to read on those two interfaces without zoom capability.

Great advice. I like to use my ebooks through my browser as well my Kindle Oasis so I will report back if I am able to purchase via US.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us