Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jan, 2021
2021-1-21 7:20:13 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

It would have to be at a separate bank, to have a level of protection from eBay. By linking eBay to your bank, they can pull funds whenever they feel like (if account A at your bank gets overdrafted, your bank will automatically pull from account B to cover it). Also, by linking eBay to your bank account, they can put a freeze on it as well if their fraud detection software gets triggered - your bank will typically freeze all of your accounts access when this happens.

Paypal, Venmo, Facebook payments, etc. all work this way. For me personally, having a credit card company in between with well regulated consumer protection laws, is how I interact with these companies. When I was selling more regularly (with an Abebooks account, for example), I had a business checking account at a different bank from any personal accounts that I had.

Maybe banks work differently in the States, but in the UK as far as I am aware, a bank cannot pull money out of any account you have with them to cover another account that would go overdrawn. If you have an account that cannot go overdrawn, they will just reject the transaction.
21 Jan, 2021
2021-1-21 7:31:01 PM UTC
If Wikipedia is to be believed, there are still risks/fees you can be hit with even if your bank declines overdrafts on your behalf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdraft (scroll down to the United Kingdom section)
21 Jan, 2021
2021-1-21 8:09:49 PM UTC
Also - eBay will be treating your bank account as a business account (they can do chargebacks to it, as one example) - and business checking accounts are usually not free, at least here in the USA. If you give eBay a consumer bank account info, and are using it for business (eBay selling), the bank will likely say you are not using your account as intended and more difficulties might happen.

Basically, if one is not operating as a business, giving eBay your personal bank account info (even if a separate account from your other banking purposes) exposes some risk that I think people should be aware of.

Again, this is all my personal preference for how much risk I am willing to take on, and my own interpretation of what risks there may or may not be. To each their own!
21 Jan, 2021
2021-1-21 9:29:23 PM UTC

Deagol wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

It would have to be at a separate bank, to have a level of protection from eBay. By linking eBay to your bank, they can pull funds whenever they feel like (if account A at your bank gets overdrafted, your bank will automatically pull from account B to cover it). Also, by linking eBay to your bank account, they can put a freeze on it as well if their fraud detection software gets triggered - your bank will typically freeze all of your accounts access when this happens.

Paypal, Venmo, Facebook payments, etc. all work this way. For me personally, having a credit card company in between with well regulated consumer protection laws, is how I interact with these companies. When I was selling more regularly (with an Abebooks account, for example), I had a business checking account at a different bank from any personal accounts that I had.

Maybe banks work differently in the States, but in the UK as far as I am aware, a bank cannot pull money out of any account you have with them to cover another account that would go overdrawn. If you have an account that cannot go overdrawn, they will just reject the transaction.

Yeah, in the Australia or NZ, they could not pull from a different account. The account Paypal had access to would either go overdrawn or the attempt to take funds would be rejected. Either way, I'd be having a paypal-only account and sweeping funds out of it immediately unless they were required.

That said, I don't give anyone direct-debit access to my accounts. I just spend 10 minutes paying bills electronically each month instead.
21 Jan, 2021
2021-1-21 11:53:01 PM UTC
Watching the (d)evolution of ebay over the last 20 years makes me wonder who is trying to kill this company. Not a single change they've made in 10+ years makes me want to use the site, and I was a heavy user. My final seller straw was someone stealing 900 dollars of Tolkien books from me in a bogus international shipping scam.
22 Jan, 2021
2021-1-22 12:24:56 AM UTC
Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I've managed to escape mostly unharmed when selling.
22 Jan, 2021
2021-1-22 2:37:07 AM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:

Watching the (d)evolution of ebay over the last 20 years makes me wonder who is trying to kill this company. Not a single change they've made in 10+ years makes me want to use the site, and I was a heavy user. My final seller straw was someone stealing 900 dollars of Tolkien books from me in a bogus international shipping scam.

That was the Australian guy, right?
22 Jan, 2021
2021-1-22 2:57:51 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

That was the Australian guy, right?

Wait, weren’t you ‘the Australian guy’ a few years ago?

??
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us