Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-24 3:56:25 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

That's a definite possibility, though we've heard no tell in quite some time via Prime Video themselves.

If the show isn't ready to debut around the time the book is published, perhaps the trailer will be, at the least? Production wise (and post-production) it seems that they have a lot of ground to cover and work ahead to get it out this year.

You have to remember that these plans were not just thrown together at the last minute (I doubt that at least). Books will be planned well in advance and when this book was initially slated I am sure the world was working to different end dates regarding TV releases and tie in product. Covid delayed alot and I guess, an educated guess at best, that HarperCollins could well have had to commit to printing schedules well in advance to keep costs sensible, to ensure production delays did not effect releases and so on.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 3:56:50 PM UTC
The Deluxe is meant to match the Super-Deluxe editions, even though they are full leather and this is quarter bound, the spine matches.

10_605b611b718a7.jpg 6000X4000 px
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:00:40 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

That's a definite possibility, though we've heard no tell in quite some time via Prime Video themselves.

If the show isn't ready to debut around the time the book is published, perhaps the trailer will be, at the least? Production wise (and post-production) it seems that they have a lot of ground to cover and work ahead to get it out this year.

You have to remember that these plans were not just thrown together at the last minute (I doubt that at least). Books will be planned well in advance and when this book was initially slated I am sure the world was working to different end dates regarding TV releases and tie in product. Covid delayed alot and I guess, an educated guess at best, that HarperCollins could well have had to commit to printing schedules well in advance to keep costs sensible, to ensure production delays did joy effect releases and so on.

Very true, I am no expert in the field of publishing or entertainment production, after all!
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:21:03 PM UTC
"fully illustrated in colour for the first time by the author himself"

I love the idea of having (for the first time, right?) Tolkien's illustrations set throughout a LotR edition. Hopefully buyers won't be let down when they find out what 'fully' means.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:23:53 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

The Deluxe is meant to match the Super-Deluxe editions, even though they are full leather and this is quarter bound, the spine matches.

Yes, it will look like this..

4779_605b673552b76.jpeg 4032X3024 px
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:34:46 PM UTC

Berelach wrote:

I love the idea of having (for the first time, right?) Tolkien's illustrations set throughout a LotR edition. Hopefully buyers won't be let down when they find out what 'fully' means.

There is much more than the page of the book of Mazarbul: it could be illuminated by his full worked out pictures (Rivendell, ,Old Man Willow, Moria Gate, Lothlorien, Brad-dûr) and also by sketches like Helm's Deep, Orthanc, or Buckland Ferry, for example...
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:48:59 PM UTC

Orcrist wrote:

Wow, the standard edition is way sexier than the deluxe!

Would be nice if the ring inscription will appear on the page edges of the Deluxe Edition as well
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:53:06 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Orcrist wrote:

Wow, the standard edition is way sexier than the deluxe!

Would be nice if the ring inscription will appear on the page edges of the Deluxe Edition as well

It is more likely to be gild on the page edges but I agree the ring inscription would be really good.
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 4:53:37 PM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

Berelach wrote:

There is much more than the page of the book of Mazarbul: it could be illuminated by his full worked out pictures (Rivendell, ,Old Man Willow, Moria Gate, Lothlorien, Brad-dûr) and also by sketches like Helm's Deep, Orthanc, or Buckland Ferry, for example...

From the description (back at the top of this thread)

"thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work"
24 Mar, 2021
2021-3-24 5:07:33 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Ithildin wrote:

Berelach wrote:

From the description (back at the top of this thread)

"thirty colour illustrations, maps and sketches drawn by Tolkien himself as he composed this epic work"

Sure, it won't be any surprise which illustrations, etc. are used... you can just flip through 'The Art of the LotR' to see what's available. I think it will be fantastic, just less of a complete polished package when compared with his Hobbit art editions, or other artist's recently illustrated Tolkien editions.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us